Staying safe and warm.
North Tyneside's trading standards officers carried out almost 200 free checks, in which 24 of the blankets failed safety standards.
Faults included poor wiring, broken controls and no protection against overheating.
Unsafe blankets were replaced with new ones, funded by the Electrical Safety Council.
Alan Burnett, principal trading standards officer, said: "It's great news that we have been able to remove seriously dangerous electric blankets from so many residents' homes.
Each year, around 20 people are killed and 250 injured in the UK from fires caused by faulty blankets, and we are determined to help reduce this."
ADVICE Alan Burnett