Stanton snubs Giants, Cards.
Byline: Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO -- Giancarlo Stanton has ruled out the San Francisco Giants. St. Louis, too.
The Giants announced Friday they were no longer in the mix to work out a trade for the Marlins slugger and NL MVP after having reached the parameters of a deal with new Miami CEO Derek Jeter and his team.
"Our agreement with the Marlins to acquire Giancarlo Stanton subject to his waiving of the no-trade clause will not move forward and it is our understanding that the Marlins and Stanton are exploring other options."
The Cardinals also said Stanton had declined to accept a deal to St. Louis.
There was speculation late Friday, the New York Yankees or L.A. Dodgers might make a run at Stanton, but there was little movement. So, the Stanton sweepstakes continues for now -- with baseball's winter meetings set to begin Monday in Orlando, Florida. Stanton must sign off on any move given the full no-trade clause in his record $325 million, 13-year contract. He is due to make $25 million in 2018 after the 28-year-old outfielder led the majors with 59 home runs and 132 RBIs this season.
"We had an agreement to acquire Giancarlo Stanton from the Miami Marlins, subject to him waiving his no-trade clause," Cardinals Chairman and CEO Bill DeWitt Jr. said. "While we are disappointed in his decision, we will continue to make every effort to improve our club for the upcoming season."
San Francisco and St. Louis had been considered among the favorites to acquire Stanton.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL)|
|Date:||Dec 9, 2017|
|Previous Article:||No. 1 UConn crashes DePaul's grand opening.|
|Next Article:||Sports in 60 seconds.|