St. John's, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Ont. sharing the love of Christ since 1819.
St. John's has been a Christian faith community since 1819 when displaced Scottish settlers from the Red River area of Manitoba arrived in this area. Today, we are a growing congregation worshipping in a building that was dedicated five years ago. Our members come from as nearby as next door, and as far away as Barrie and Newmarket. The congregation reflects the mix of people who live in this part of Ontario. We exist to share the love of Christ through worship, education and service. While we have been serving Bradford and area for 190 years, our story has just begun.
Declining attendance, declining revenues and rising costs brought about the inevitable for the rural churches in the Bradford charge. Automobiles and better roads enabled people to travel greater distances. Two churches closed and their members attended Bradford Presbyterian. The increased membership, together with 110 years of use and a lack of parking, brought about a decision to build a new church home. Sod was turned for that home in November 2004, and the service of dedication held the next November. The more encompassing name of St. John's Presbyterian Church is now used. We are located in the town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, about 45 minutes due north of Toronto.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||Most Beautiful Church|
|Article Type:||Brief article|
|Date:||Mar 1, 2011|
|Previous Article:||Indiscriminate choices: choose sin and bring suffering.|
|Next Article:||A probabilities test: the Record is the only media to report a grim and tragic story.|