Printer Friendly

Spider bite horror for Brit on hols; POISONED.

Byline: RICHARD SMITH

A BRITISH tourist had to be rushed to hospital after being bitten by a poisonous spider that got into his shoe.

Kevin McNamara, 40, thinks the 2cm-long Brown Recluse spider bit him during his family holiday in Florida.

By the time the dad-of-two arrived back at Gatwick Airport his foot had swollen to twice its usual size and he was taken straight to hospital.

Kevin, a risk manager from Severn Beach near Bristol, said: "I noticed some redness on my foot but thought it was just my shoe. Two days later, my ankle was flowing over my trainer and there was a big blister between my toes."

He needed two operations to remove the poison which involved cutting a 3cm by 1cm piece of flesh from his left foot. But he is still in hospital after getting MRSA.

Kevin added: "We had a great holiday but the last 24 hours were horrific. If that spider had bitten one of the kids, I'd hate to think what would have happened."

CAPTION(S):

PAIN Brown Recluse spider
COPYRIGHT 2009 MGN LTD
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2009 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Aug 18, 2009
Words:178
Previous Article:SIX WEEKS CARE AFTER HOSPITAL; Help at home for frail and elderly.
Next Article:Wham! it in reverse.
Topics:


Related Articles
Along came a spider.
Bites and stings.
Canoeist in spider bite terror.
Ask Doctor Cory.
Things that go GULP! in the night; TALES OF THE SLEEPERS CREEPERS.
Ask Doctor Cory.
Asian Worker in RAK Hospital after Red Spider Bite.
World's 'oldest' spider may have arrived 80 mln yrs later than previously thought.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters