Specialty Brands Looks to Go National With Mexican Frozens.
Oh, you can find a few burritos and Mexican-style dinners, but there's hardly any major brand presence to attract shoppers. Now Specialty Brands, Inc., Ontario, California, is trying to change that with the largest introduction in its history -- Jose Ole[TM].
Launching in 27 major markets throughout the western United States, the extensive 28-item Jose Ole line will compete with existing Mexican food brands on quick-serve restaurant and casual dining turf to concentrate and grow a now fragmented but highly profitable market. By mid-year 2001, Specialty Brands hopes to be in national distribution.
The company aims to capture a sizable share of the prepared frozen food market with the line by the end of 2001. With annual sales of more than $10 billion, rising 8% per year, frozen food is one of few high-growth categories at retail. Coupled with a comparable level of growth in prepared Mexican food (+7.4%), the company figures Jose Ole just has to be a recipe for success.
"This is an opportunity to build a high-quality consumer brand from the ground up, in a category with terrific potential," said Rob Berry, director of marketing for consumer markets at Specialty Brands.
Items in the line include:
* Mexi-Minis (Beef & Cheese Mini Tacos, Chicken & Cheese Mini Burritos, Cheese Mini-Burritos and Beef & Cheese Mini Taquitos, all 12 Ounces).
* Wraps (Snack Fajita, Chicken Fajita, Steak & Cheese and Chicken & Cheese, all Two-Count).
* Bowls (Steak Fajita, Southwest Chicken, Chicken & Salsa, Fiesta Chicken and Chicken Fajita).
* Taquitos (Shredded Beef and Chicken, 20 count and 40 count).
* Rolled tacos (Chicken & Cheese & Steak & Cheese).
* Value burritos (Chicken, Beef & Bean, Red Chile Beef & Bean, and Bean & Cheese).
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||Specialty Brands Inc. introduces Jose Ole Mexican frozen food line|
|Comment:||Specialty Brands Looks to Go National With Mexican Frozens.(Specialty Brands Inc. introduces Jose Ole Mexican frozen food line)|
|Publication:||Quick Frozen Foods International|
|Article Type:||Brief Article|
|Date:||Jan 1, 2001|
|Previous Article:||Western Frozen Food Convention Beckons Industry to Monterey.|
|Next Article:||3 More Asian Bowls from King's Hawaiian.|