Printer Friendly

Smoke alarms avert kitchen fire tragedy.

FIREFIGHTERS dealt with two blazes in Anfield where people fell asleep while cooking.

Smoke alarms helped avoid tragedy when fires broke out in Esmond Street and Ardrossan Road, last night the fire service said.

Watch manager Andy Burton, who attended both call-outs, said: "In both of these incidents the people involved had put cooking on and then fallen asleep.

"Smoke alarms had woken them and alerted them to the fire. The damage would have been a lot more severe and extensive without the smoke alarms. A working smoke alarm, tested each week on each level of your home, gives you the vital seconds to escape from a fire."

Fire crews were called to Esmond Street at 9.28pm after dealing with a chip pan fire at a flat in Ardrossan Road. At Esmond Street, a man suffered smoke inhalation while trying to put out the fire, which left his kitchen heavily damaged. The man refused any treatment by firefighters or paramedics.

A fire engine from Kensington Community Fire Station attended both incidents.
COPYRIGHT 2012 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2012 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Liverpool Echo (Liverpool, England)
Date:Jul 31, 2012
Words:172
Previous Article:BLAZE HAS LEFT OUR DREAM IN TATTERS; Brothers' agony as plant wrecked.
Next Article:Ethel Austin is saved AGAIN! Businessman rescues 32 stores.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters