Site 'at risk' as A& L cut 100 jobs.
The Communication Workers Union said it had been told the jobs will go before the end of the year, leaving just 60 there.
Staff may be redeployed at other North West A& L sites, which include its Bootle operation.
National CWU official Nigel Cotgrove said: "These job cuts are another blow to our hard-working members and the economy in the North West.' "The job losses bring the future of the site into question - we will do all we can to keep it open."
A spokesman for Alliance & Leicester said telephone operations were moving to other sites owned by parent company Santander.
"The Wigan site will remain open for other Santander operations.
"We will be working closely with those staff affected and trying wherever possible to redeploy them in the North West.''
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Post (Liverpool, England)|
|Date:||Aug 21, 2009|
|Previous Article:||Outrage as bomber heads home to 'hero's welcome' Scots politician faces quiz over release.|
|Next Article:||Journey to the end of the Earth; Explorer, writer and photographer Alastair Humphreys talks to William Leece about his adventures.|