Printer Friendly

Singer's electrocution caused by faulty plug.

A FAULTY plug in amplifying equipment led to the death of an entertainer who was electrocuted while singing on the stage of a Port Talbot club, the West Glamorgan Coroner, Mr Ian Cameron, said at the inquest today.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded after expert opinion was that the earth lead came loose and touched the positive terminal in the plug of the equipment used that night, and this made the amplifying equipment "live".

The inquest was on Malcolm Anthony Perkins, aged 28, married with one child.

Mr Peter Kane, another entertainer appearing at the club on the night of the tragedy, told the coroner her set up his own equipment before the concert started, tested it and found everything worked perfectly.

"My equipment was used by another artist, but when Mr Perkins came on he use his own microphone. He sang two songs and was about to start the third when he went to the back of the stage and grasped my microphone off its stand. He was holding his own microphone in the other hand. He then collapsed on the stage."

A foreman electrician Mr Harold Watley explained that a plug on Mr Kane's equipment was faulty. When Mr Perkins picked up the other microphone his body acted as a conductor.

COPYRIGHT 2015 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2015 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)
Date:Mar 31, 2015
Words:215
Previous Article:Chicken was just a hungry eagle.
Next Article:Hell hath no fury like a cat-lover as Dan wanders down his Memory Lane.
Topics:

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters