Printer Friendly

Simple Test Can Spot Infants' Hearing Problems.

ORLANDO--A simple, cost-effective test can be used to screen newborns for hearing impairment, possibly avoiding future problems in language development, Dr. Kurt Stone said in a poster presentation at the annual meeting of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine.

Today, hearing impairment is typically diagnosed at about 2.5 years of age, when children already have speech delays. But distortion product otoacoustic emissions (DPOAE) testing by 6 months of age can identify 80% or more of hearing-impaired infants, said Dr. Stone, a family physician at Rapid City (S.D.) Regional Hospital.

He screened 1,002 infants between 1 and 3 days old using the 20-minute DPOAE test. Overall, 89% of the infants passed; the other 11% failed the initial screen and were retested 2 months later.

Two infants failed the repeat DPOAE and were tested for middle ear disease with a tympanogram. One infant failed the tympanogram and required treatment for middle ear disease. The other infant passed the tympanogram, but an auditory brain stem response test revealed sensory neural hearing loss.

At only $19.88 per test and a cost per diagnosis of $22,114, DPOAE is not only cost effective but also shows an acceptable false-positive rate after retesting, he said. In comparison, the cost per diagnosis for phenylketonuria is $40,000. Tympanograms, too, are relatively inexpensive at $25 each.

Colorado, Hawaii, Rhode Island, and Wyoming already cover DPOAE screening as a public health service; in 18 other states, lawmakers are proposing that their state health departments do the same, he said.

COPYRIGHT 2000 International Medical News Group
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2000 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Author:Lawson, Kim
Publication:Family Practice News
Article Type:Brief Article
Geographic Code:1USA
Date:Sep 1, 2000
Words:255
Previous Article:Fear of Night-Light-Induced Myopia Is Dimming.
Next Article:Otitis Behind Most Antibiotics Used Before Age 6.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters