Sick grandad's legal action over 'asbestos work'.
A BIRMINGHAM grandad diagnosed with an asbestos-related illness has launched legal action in a bid to find out if he breathed in the killer dust at his former workplaces.
Herman Batchelor, aged 77, of Erdington, was told in 2010 he had asbestosis, a chronic respiratory disease caused by inhaling the dust. But he believes he may have come into contact with the substance when he worked at shopfitters Cadwallader Ltd, in Perry Barr, from 1961 to 1966 as well as A Edmonds & Co Ltd, on Constitution Hill, where he was employed in 1967 for two years.
The grandad-of-12 has instructed law firm Irwin Mitchell to represent him.
Mr Batchelor, who has five children, said: "I remember specifically removing asbestos ceilings and pipework lagging while re-fitting shops for Cadwallader and A Edmonds & Co. I was never warned of the dangers of inhaling asbestos dust or provided with any protective equipment.
"In early 2010 I noticed I was suffering from shortness of breath and was much more tired that I used to be. I visited my doctor who carried out tests and when I was told the diagnosis of asbestosis it was very hard to come to terms with.
"It's difficult not to be angry knowing that I have a chronic illness which I believe has been caused by something I was exposed to at work and that I had no control over. I have a large family and love to spend time with them, but I have had to slow down a lot as I get tired very easily.
"I've had to come to terms with the fact I will spend the rest of my life on medication for my cough and to help my lungs. I just hope anyone who has any information, no matter how small, gets in touch."
Anyone who thinks they can help is askedto contact Rajni Bharj at Irwin Mitchell on 0121 214 6584.
Herman Batchelor, who has launched a legal bid after being diagnosed with asbestosis.