Sharjah: Girl in serious condition after taking slimming capsules.
The girl was admitted to the hospital on Monday and she was ill. She was immediately transferred to the intensive care unit.
Dr Safiya Saif Al Khajeh, medical director and consultant Paediatrician at Al Qasimi hospital, told Gulf News that the girl had taken a large number of Chinese slimming capsules, which were used by one of her family members. The product was bought from Dragon Mart.
The box which of the slimming capsule showed that it contained all natural fruit extract and no harmful material inside.
The capsules contained substances that caused her mouth to dry, hallucinate and caused irregular heart beating and insomnia. The girl was put under observation from 24-55 hours to determine her condition.
"Any similar cases not monitored in a proper way, will affect the kidney and brain. It causes nausea, vomiting, restlessness, flushed skin, sweating, dizziness, headaches, rapid respiration and irregular heart-beat, stroke possibly leading to coma and death," she explained.
Al Khajeh warned that products which are available without a prescription and claim to be purely fruit and herbal may contain synthetic substances in concentrations far above the average doses and can cause poisoning.
When taking the history of a patient possibly suffering from an intoxication, the physician should ask specifically about drugs, dietary supplements, and so-called lifestyle products that were obtained without a prescription. It would be desirable for the contents of all such products to be declared, as required by law -- in order to check whether the product is suitable to sell in the market.
Al Khajea said anyone who thinks they may have taken slimming capsule should seek medical advice immediately, she warned of the dangers of taking medicines to lose weight and urged people to only use medicine that is approved by the FDA.
"Never trust unknown sources which claim their products are purely natural," she said.
Al Khajeh advised parents to keep an eye on their children especially during the Summer holiday.
"A number of accidents happen to children due to neglection from parents," she said.
Al Nisr Publishing LLC 2013. All rights reserved.
Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company