Sex case suspect back from Spain.
A suspected child molester who disappeared almost two years ago while on conditional bail, is back on Tyneside today after being extradited from Spain.
Adam Rogers, 57, was charged on November 21, 2003, with seven counts of indecent assault and one of gross indecency involving a young girl.
The allegations were said to relate to a period between 1993 and 2000.
But Rogers, of Atkinson Road, Benwell, Newcastle, failed to appear at Newcastle Crown Court after the case was transferred by city magistrates who had granted him bail.
A bench warrant was issued for his arrest at Crown Court on January 26 last year and inquiries spread from Tyneside across Europe.
Now after international police co-operation, Rogers has returned to the North East and is appearing before the Crown Court today.
Det Insp Terry McNamara, the head of Newcastle's Public Protection Unit, said: "A 57-year-old man will appear before Crown Court today on sexual offences charges and absconding while on bail.
"A European arrest warrant was obtained by the Crown Prosecution Service which has enabled the suspect to be extradited."
Information received by officers from the city's PPU led to inquiries in the Spanish capital, Madrid.
Rogers was detained a fortnight ago by Spanish police on behalf of the Northumbria force and after legal paperwork was completed, he was flown in custody back to Britain.
The accused was escorted by an officer from a flight which touched down in Manchester and brought back to Tyneside yesterday.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Evening Chronicle (Newcastle, England)|
|Date:||Oct 26, 2005|
|Previous Article:||Banger races for best of butchers.|
|Next Article:||Shop owner faces arrest.|