Printer Friendly

Sergeant Major dies after being gassed three times at the Front.

People in Deanston learned with regret that a soldier from the village, Pte Arthur Warren, A&SH, died from wounds sustained on December 21, 1917. He had been in service for two years and involved in much hard fighting. Pte Warren, who left a wife and young family, was working in Fallin when war broke out.

*** Sergeant-Major George Menzies, from Drymen, was laid to rest in the village churchyard. He was the first soldier from the village to be interred there since the start of war. He died in hospital in Aldershot after being gassed three times at the Front. Sgt Maj Menzies, serving with the Royal Garrison Artillery, served 17 years in the Army and fought in the South African War between 1899 and 1902. Papers shown to his relatives revealed he was twice offered a commission in a line regiment but preferred to stay with his battery.

*** Mr McColl, Home Knowe, Aberfoyle, received word his son James, with the New Zealand Forces, had been wounded in action in France. James had emigrated six years earlier and engaged in farmwork before enlisting. The Observer also reported that Sgt RT Daly, organist of the parish church before being called up with the Territorials at the start of the war, was home on leave and played the organ at the Sunday service the previous weekend.

*** In Kippen, Mr DS Buchannan, Royal Naval Air Service was home on leave. There was also news that soldiers from the village, Peter and James Morrison, were in hospital suffering from trench fever. Their mother, one of Kippen's oldest residents, had died days earlier.

*** A soldier with Gartmore connections, PW Barrowman, was reported killed in action. Before enlisting he was employed as a gardener to the late Sir Charles Cayzer. Sgt Macgregor, Black Watch, was returning to the Front after a spell of leave in Gartmore.

*** Family and friends in Doune welcomed back Pte Peter Ferguson who had still not recovered from severe wounds received in the fighting. Pte Tom Rory was also with relatives in Doune area, as were Pte Willie Cameron, Black Watch and Pte W Young of the Canadian Cameronians. He had been involved in the taking of Passchendaele. After two years in France, Quartermaster Sergeant Robert McLeod, also from Doune area, had returned from the Front to begin training for a commission.

*** Meanwhile, on the homefront, the Observer was pleased to see in the Scottish Farmer a picture of well-known Stirling lady Miss Lucas who was dairy maid to the Duchess of Montrose at Buchanan Castle, Drymen. In a butter-making competition, Miss Lucas scored an excellent 98 points. She had much experience of dairy work on her father's farm.

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Stirling Observer (Stirling, Scotland)
Date:Jan 12, 2018
Previous Article:From Big Smoke to wee campfires; FOREST CLASSROOM Couple who left London to embrace the wilds share the joy of learning outdoors.
Next Article:Soldiers' medals for bravery are hailed by villagers.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters