See you in court; 70 VICTIMS IN MULTIMILLION-POUND CLAIM; Arthritis sufferers given go-ahead to sue drugs firm over devastating side effects Sunday.
A group of arthritis sufferers have been given the green light to sue a drugs giant for millions of pounds.
Seventy men and women say they were hit with side effects, including heart attacks and strokes, from the so-called wonder drug Celebrex, made by Pfizer.
A test case brought by Ronald Richard and John Jarvie was due to go to a full hearing at the Court of Session in Edinburgh this year.
Pfizer, the world's biggest drugs company, lodged an appeal in March but it was thrown out last week by judges Lady Dorrian, Lord Brodie and Lord Malcolm.
They ruled that all the alleged Celebrex victims were entitled to have their claims heard in court.
A damages action is now expected to take place next year.
Ronald, 74, said: "I will believe it when I see it. This has been going on arthritis sufferers who say they were hit with horrifying side effects started taking Celebrex in July 2002 because he suffered stiffness and pain in his joints.
After a few weeks, he had noticed an The men and women, who are all aged 60 to 90, are collectively seeking PS3improvement but suffered a heart attack two years later in May 2004.
PS3.5million damages from the world's biggest drugs company.
Ronald said: "I'm still living with the They began taking anti-inflammatory consequences. Since the heart attack, I've lost between 30 and 40 per cent of for almost 14 years. It was all down to Pfizer. They were just not willing to listen. It has been a farce."
PAINKILLER Celebrex in 2002 to combat the effects of arthritis and muscle and my energy. There's no doubt Celebrex was a successful drug in easing the pain joint stiffness.
However, they all went on and stiffness. But I would never have taken it if I had known about to suffer health problems, including heart attacks and the side effects."
John had two strokes 15Judge Lord Beckett has years ago after taking Celebrex. He was prescribed ruled that the victims can sue the New York-based firm.
The victims allege that Pfizer were negligent and put Celebrex on thethe drug in May 2002, having complained of pain in his left He made the decision last week after looking at two arm, elbow and shoulder.
His wife Catherine said test cases at the Court of Session in Edinburgh in the dad of three was too ill to February.
Retired engineer Ronald Richards, 73, from Stirling, In their action at the Court of Session, the 70 claimants ruling Beckett suffered a heart attack and ex-miner John Jarvie, 72, from are also accusing Pfizer of making fraudulent claims Denny, near Falkirk, suffered two strokes.
It is alleged that Pfizer concealed Both men became ill after taking Celebrex. Their compensation claims the dangers from the public, doctors and government regulators after it are expected to be heard next year at the Court of Session.
If successful, the remaining 68 victims The claimants are being represented by Aberdeen firm Lefevre Litigation.
Pfizer heard if the company Pfizer said: "The decision of the Court of Session is a ruling on a procedural The men and women, who are aged 60 to 90, are seeking PS3.5million in damages. They began taking the anti-inflammatory in 2002 to combat the effects of arthritis and muscle and decide not to settle.
The pharmaceutical giants have application and not a determination on the merits of the legal case.
Each victim is seeking about PS50,000 in damages - a total payout of PS3.5million.
"Since its introduction in 1999, But if the cases go to court and are Celebrex has helped millions of eligible patients worldwide.
Pfizer also face paying further millions in legal and court costs. Ronald "It is approved for use in more than 100 countries."
I'm still living with joint stiffness. All 70 went on to suffer health problems, including heart attacks and multiple strokes.
It is also alleged that Pfizer did not provide doctors and patients with enough information on the possible side effects of the drug.
Retired engineer Ronald, 74, from Stirling, suffered a heart attack and John, and ex miner from Denny, suffered two strokes after taking the drug 16 years ago.
The damages action was first raised in the US in 2005 but courts ruled that any claims must be heard in Scotland.
If Ronald and John's test case is successful, the remaining 68 victims will be able to make their own claims.
The 70 claimants are represented by Aberdeen-based Lefevre Litigation. Partner Lindsay Davidson said: "They are all determined to pursue this."
Pfizer said: "We strongly believe this litigation has no merit and these claims should not be permitted to move forward."
test case Pfizer drugs. Above, we reveal story last year
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Sunday Mail (Glasgow, Scotland)|
|Date:||May 6, 2018|
|Previous Article:||I can't go looking for excuses .. it would be passing the buck to, er .. myself! SAYS CRAIG LEVEIN & CRAIG LEVEIN.|
|Next Article:||These people destroyed my entire career and stole three years of my life. Being a whistleblower in the police is like taking on the Mafia; OFFICER...|