Printer Friendly

Scouts get safety wise in time for summer camp.

SCOUTS in Lepton have been learning about the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning while camping thanks to Northern Gas Networks.

Children aged 11 to 14 at the Lepton Scout Group are planning camping trips as part of their expedition challenge badge. To help keep them safe, NGN held a special workshop to raise awareness of the dangers of using propane bottled gas, BBQs and camp stoves inside tents as they can emit CO gas.

Often referred to as the silent killer, carbon monoxide has no smell, colour or taste, making it difficult to detect. Through games and quizzes, the scouts were educated on the warning signs of CO poisoning and were all given a CO detector to take home.

NGN has been working in Lepton since January investing around PS70,000 to upgrade around 1.3km of ageing metal gas mains with new durable plastic pipes. The local engineering firm, PMCE that has been carrying out the work on behalf of NGN also donated a Vango Omega 250 tent to the scout group.

For more on the symptoms of CO poisoning or what to do if you suspect a gas leak, see: http://www.northerngasnetworks.co.uk/gasemergencies/infographic/

CAPTION(S):

| Scout leader Julian Gallagher of Lepton Scouts and scout Joshua Lodge receive a tent from Patrick Mulhern of PMCE and Matthew Cordingley, a site manager at Northern Gas Networks

COPYRIGHT 2016 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2016 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Feb 18, 2016
Words:231
Previous Article:Gas mains work for local firms.
Next Article:TODAY'S TV With Sara Wallis.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters