DIRECTIONS: Read the Science News section on pages 3 to 5. Then test your knowledge by filling in the letters of the correct answers below.
1. A dead roach gives off a smell that--.
(A) attracts other roaches
(B) causes other roaches to remove the body from their nest
(C) causes other roaches to eat the dead roach's body
(D) repels other roaches
2. What distant relatives of cockroaches also produce the pheromone oleic acid?
3. Scientists for the first time have been able to create an image of--.
(A) a molecule
(B) the particles inside an atom
(C) an atom of hydrogen
(D) the bond between two atoms
4. Before their colorblindness was reversed, two monkeys were unable to see--.
(A) purple and red
(B) red and green
(C) yellow and orange
(D) brown and gray
5. What medical procedure do scientists use to insert healthy genes into defective cells?
(A) genetic modification
(B) DNA splicing
(C) stem-cell treatment
(D) gene therapy
6. Why do some craters on the moon get so cold?
(A) Sunlight cannot reach the interior of craters at the north and south poles.
(B) The moon's surface reflects sunlight.
(C) One side of the moon never faces the sun.
(D) The moon has a thick atmosphere.
7. Which of the following is NOT true about the coldest temperatures on these celestial bodies?
(A) Pluto gets colder than Mars.
(B) Mars gets colder than Earth.
(C) Earth gets colder than Mars.
(D) The moon gets colder than Earth.
8. What animals were used to produce the threads for an 11-by-4-foot tapestry?
9. Why are countries meeting in Copenhagen, Denmark, this month?
(A) to discuss climate change
(B) to protect endangered species
(C) to develop green technologies
(D) to talk about H1N1 flu prevention
10. scientists now think the asteroid Apophis has less of a chance of striking Earth in--than first believed.
1. d 2. c 3. a 4. b 5. d 6. a 7. c 8. a 9. a 10. b