Printer Friendly

Science labs show future direction; private business.

LIVERPOOL Science Park is pressing ahead with development and this week starts work on creating 5,000 sq ft of biology grade specification laboratories within its ic2 building on Brownlow Hill.

The creation of five laboratories is targeted at addressing the shortage of commercial laboratories in the city.

The project will cost pounds 660,000 - funded by a Treasury loan through Liverpool City Council - and the laboratories are expected to open next spring. They will complement the 10,000 sq ft of bio-labs already at MerseyBio.

Chris Musson, chief executive of Liverpool Science Park, said: "These laboratories enable us to diversify our offer and support the full range of organisations that make up Liverpool's commercial knowledge economy.

"We are meeting the market demand for bespoke purpose-built laboratory space and sending a clear message to the life sciences sector that Liverpool is open for business."

The science park, which opened in 2006, is a not-for-profit company with three governing members. Liverpool City Council holds a 51% interest in the facility and the remaining 49% is split equally between Liverpool John Moores University and the University of Liverpool. Accounts for Liverpool Science Park just filed at Companies House show a surplus of pounds 291,573 for the year to March. Turnover was pounds 2.12m, which included rental income of pounds 520,000.

During the financial year, the science park's second building, ic2, was opened and is now 30% occupied. The business plan anticipates full occupancy within three years of operation.

It hopes at that point, in spring 2012, to be ready to open ic3. It has planning permission for the 42,000 sq ft building that will link to ic1.

ALEX TURNER
COPYRIGHT 2010 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

 
Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Business
Publication:Daily Post (Liverpool, England)
Date:Nov 24, 2010
Words:281
Previous Article:Biotechnology y turns the corner; Expansion for a top Liverpool bio-medicine firm brings its headaches. Peter Elson reports.
Next Article:Irish bail-out and Korean clash hit global markets.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters