Science in the news.
1. A new climate model suggests that in the future
a. extreme heat waves will occur every 46,000 years.
b. Europe will always be cold.
c. temperatures will be constant from one year to the next.
d. extreme heat waves could become common.
2. According to the article, temperature variability
a. is not caused by global warming.
b. means temperatures could be scorching one year and colder than normal the next year.
c. will decrease in the future.
d. was highest 46,000 years ago.
3. The lopsided holes on a Wiffle ball
a. alter the ball's aerodynamics.
b. change the air pressure around the ball.
c. make it easily curve.
d. all of the above
4. Which of the following is NOT true about the Quickball?
a. It tends to shift direction in midflight.
b. Its surface has evenly spaced holes.
c. It has a balanced airflow.
d. You can add spin to curve it.
5. Drag is caused by
d. kinetic energy.
6. A shark's denticles reduce drag because
a. they are smooth.
b. there is more friction on the denticles' small tip surface.
c. they increase friction.
d. there is less friction on the small surface of the denticle tips.
7. What makes ultraviolet (UV) rays dangerous?
a. When they hit DNA in skin cells, the rays can cause mutations that can lead to cancer.
b. UV rays prevent mutations in DNA.
c. When UV rays hit skin cells, protective enzymes go into overdrive.
d. When UV rays hit a person's skin, the DNA in the skin cells grows larger.
8. Traditional sunblock is less efficient than the new lotion because
a. sunblock takes longer to start working.
b. the new lotion blocks UV rays.
c. sunblock helps the body defend itself using enzymes.
d. sunblock only shields the skin from UV rays.
9. Poor diet and inactivity can lead to
a. illnesses that result in death.
b. increased attention span.
c. tobacco addiction.
d. better vision.
10. According to the article, what is currently the top cause of preventable deaths?
a. alcohol use.
b. tobacco use.
c. car accidents.
d. poor diet and physical inactivity.
1. d 2. b 3. d 4. a 5. c 6. d 7. a 8. d 9. a 10. b
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||Check For Understanding|
|Date:||May 10, 2004|
|Previous Article:||Hands-on science (no lab required).|
|Next Article:||Clone science.|