Printer Friendly

Saving Honey Bees from Pesticide Death.

Consider this: a grain of salt weighs 58,500 nanograms. It takes only 15 nanograms of pesticide to kill a honey bee. Over time, pollen tinged with tiny amounts of pesticides accumulates in a bee's body, reducing the lifespan of each bee in a colony, but researchers at Washington State University, Pullman, have developed a material that "acts as a magnetic microsponge that absorbs ingested toxic residues," says Waled Suliman, a postdoctoral research associate in the Department of Biological Systems Engineering.

The product, a powder, can be incorporated into a sugar solution that is fed to bee colonies. Each micro-particle is the size and shape of a grain of pollen, making them easily digestible--and they are designed and formulated to be safe for beekeepers to handle.

When consumed by the bees, the particles attract and absorb pesticide toxins. Then they pass through the bees like any other food. Each particle only spends a few hours in the digestive system, which is enough to reduce pesticide residues significantly.

In fact, each particle of Suliman's technology can remove about 300 nanograms of pesticide residue--much more than bees can survive.

COPYRIGHT 2018 Society for the Advancement of Education
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2018 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:TOXINS; microparticles that absorb ingested toxic residues
Publication:USA Today (Magazine)
Article Type:Brief article
Date:Jun 1, 2018
Words:187
Previous Article:Even Worms Need Their Beauty Rest.
Next Article:Baby-Eating Freeloac1er Ants Are Welcome.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters