SYMBOL INTRODUCES NEW WI-FI PRODUCTS.
"Symbol has provided wireless innovations and technologies to customers for more than 15 years, and Wi-Fi has become a cornerstone of Symbol's enterprise mobility strategy helping to give on-demand access to information," said Anthony Bartolo, general manager and vice president of Symbol's wireless infrastructure and mobility software divisions. "Small businesses and branch office customers are seeking the same functionality, security, availability and reliability from Symbol's wireless infrastructure that our large enterprise customers are receiving. And, Symbol's wireless technologies continues to help them reduce their total cost of ownership delivering new features, as well as support for emerging wireless standards, such as 802.11i and 802.11g."
Symbol WS 2000 Enhanced Security and Manageability
Symbol first unveiled the WS 2000 wireless switch earlier this year -- one of the first wireless switches for small businesses or branch offices of larger businesses. The latest version of the WS 2000, also designed for small businesses, is easy to set up and manage and provides enhanced security. Additional features include:
* Extra Security Levels: Support for site-to-site virtual private networks (VPN) and 802.11i security standard (WPA2); designed for managed services
* High-speed: Fast roaming options
* Reliable: Incorporation of load balancing; better throughput
* Standard-based: Support for 802.11 a/b/g and emerging 802.11i and worldwide 802.11h standard
"Wi-Fi systems in enterprise environments must be easy to deploy, secure, and manage while maintaining the flexibility and resiliency needed to support an ever expanding array of business critical wireless applications," said Abner Germanow, Wireless LAN research manager at IDC.
AP300 Tri-Mode Access Port Satisfies Customers' Varying Connectivity Needs
To expand the wireless connectivity options supported by the WS 2000, Symbol also introduced the AP 300, an access port that supports 802.11a/b/g. Utilizing a tri-mode access port like the AP 300 along with the Symbol WS 2000, businesses will be able to further reduce the cost of deploying, implementing and managing a wireless LAN, while increasing features, functionality and security of the wireless LAN infrastructure.
Small and medium business (SMB) customers have many different requirements for their networks, and no mobility system is the same. Symbol's wireless portfolio, which supports tri-mode standards (802.11 a/b/g), offers customers the flexibility to continue to build and expand their enterprise wireless network. This is important for small and medium businesses, as they need the flexibility to grow with their business. The AP 300 provides such flexibilities as low out-of-the-box purchase price, features that provide lower total cost of ownership, and the opportunity to expand internationally with support for 802.11h, a worldwide standard. Additional Symbol AP 300 features include:
* High-speed: Enables enterprises to deploy 54 Mbps link rate with the ability to double the capacity to 108 Mbps for demanding applications such as high quality video streaming.
* Easy to manage: Discovers access ports on the network and automatically downloads all configuration parameters and firmware; Installation, maintenance and troubleshooting costs are reduced.
* Easy installation: Designed to provide increased flexibility for wall, ceiling and above-ceiling tile mounting option.
* Lower installation costs: Eliminates the need to run power cables or install new outlets because it receives power via existing Ethernet cables, which support 802.3af standards-based Power-Over-Ethernet (PoE)
* Dependable: Supports Virtual Access Points which cause each port to behave as eight independent access points -- improves wireless device performance, increases throughput and battery-life and reduces overall network traffic; provides the ability to secure and manage bandwidth on a per-WLAN basis.
Pricing & Availability
The Symbol WS 2000 Release 1.5 and AP 300 are currently available. Existing users of the Symbol WS 2000 can upgrade their firmware to Release 1.5 at http://www.symbol.com/services/downloads/ws2000_wireless_ switch.html. The suggested list price for the Symbol WS 2000 is $999. The suggested list price for the Symbol AP 300 is $349.
About Symbol Technologies
Symbol Technologies, Inc., is a provider of enterprise mobility, delivering products and solutions that capture, move and manage information in real time to and from the point of business activity. Symbol enterprise mobility solutions integrate advanced data capture products, radio frequency identification technology, mobile computing platforms, wireless infrastructure, mobility software and services programs under the Symbol Enterprise Mobility Services brand.
Symbol Technologies can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.symbol.com/.
For more information, call 631/738-4751 or 212/367-6829.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Jan 1, 2005|
|Previous Article:||LINKSYS LAUNCHES 802.11G WIRELESS COMPACTFLASH CARD.|
|Next Article:||BROADCOM 54G CHIPSETS BOOST WI-FI COVERAGE.|
|PowerLite 835p: Epson.|
|REMOTEPIPES SIGNS WIFI PACTS WITH AIRPATH/FATPORT.|
|CONVERGED ACCESS EXTENDS VOIP/DATA QOS AND SECURITY.|
|Wireless: the 'n' is near; savvy colleges and universities anticipate a new wireless standard.|