Printer Friendly

SUPERSARS; Rovers routed by rampant Glanmire side at the Pairc.


SARSFIELDS strolled to a fourth Cork SHC title in seven years with 18 points to spare over Glen Rovers at Pairc Ui Chaoimh yesterday.

From the moment captain Tadhg Og Murphy found the net in the seventh minute, the Glanmire side were in the driving seat and the Glen - aiming to end 25 years without a title - never found a rhythm.

Murphy's goal originated with a good clearance from excellent wing-back Daniel Roche as Cian McCarthy and Kieran Murphy combined to set him up for an easy finish.

In defence, Sars frustrated the Glen attack. Points from Conor Dorris and Graham Callanan were all the city had to show for the opening quarter, in contrast to 1-4 for Sars, and it wouldn't get any better for them for the remainder of the half.

Horgan got off the mark with a free in the 23rd minute but that was their only other score before half-time. On 20, the northsiders might have had a goal chance as Brian Moylan's clearance dropped close to goal, but O'Sullivan was on hand to deny Horgan. Sars finished the first period with a flourish, Tadhg Og Murphy, Kieran Murphy, O'Loughlin and McCarthy all on target. But for a Cathal Hickey save, Tadhg Og Murphy might have had another goal but they at least had the consolation of McCarthy's fourth free giving them a 1-10 to 0-3 interval advantage.

Though Horgan opened the secondhalf scoring for the Glen, who had been kept waiting for Sars to come out, there was no great change in the pattern of the game. Daniel Kearney and Eoin Quigley continued to dominate midfield - the Glen's Donal Cronin never gave up, it must be said - and the defensive unit continued to operate with efficiency and composure, Ray Ryan and Eanna Martin shining in the half-back line.

Four points in a row, two frees by McCarthy, a wonderful run and point by Daniel Kearney and Eoin O'Sullivan's second of the game, put 14 between the teams by the 39th minute. Horgan responded with two frees for the Glen but they were answered by a pair from McCarthy.

There was just under a quarter of the game left at that stage, but the outcome had more than an air of inevitability as Sars emptied their bench. The second goal came when sub Michael Cussen - unable to start as he was still recovering from a broken thumb - picked out Kieran Murphy, who kicked to the net.

It capped a fine day for Sars as they now go in search of a first Munster title. SARSFIELDS: A Kennedy; W Kearney, C Leahy, C O'Sullivan; D Roche, R Ryan, E Martin; D Kearney (0-1), E Quigley; E O'Sullivan (0-2), G O'Loughlin (0-3), C McCarthy (0-10, 0-9f); C Duggan, K Murphy (1-1), T Og Murphy (1-1). SUBS: M Cussen for C Duggan (34), R Duggan for Quigley (50), R O'Driscoll for T Og Murphy (53), G Grey for K Murphy (54), R Murphy for E O'Sullivan (56). GLEN ROVERS: C Hickey; D Doolin, S McDonnell, G Moylan; G Callanan (0-1), B Moylan, D Noonan; D Cronin (0-1), C Healy; D Brosnan, D Cunningham, D Busteed; P Horgan (0-5f), C Dorris (0-1), G Kennefick. SUBS: B Phelan for Busteed, P Virgo for G Kennefick (both half-time), S Kennefick for Noonan (40), D Goggin for D Brosnan (54), E O'Connell for Virgo (56, injured) REFEREE: N Wall (Carrigaline).


BLOCK Dean Brosnan stops Michael Cussen shot

BEST OF THE CHEST Daniel Kearney and his teammates celebrate with cup in dressing room at Pairc Ui Chaoimh

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Features
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Oct 13, 2014
Previous Article:DOUBLE DELIGHT.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters