The Preface to the SSTSs states that, while the number and names of the SSTSs and the substantive rules remain the same as in the SRTPs, the language has been edited to clarify and reflect the SSTSs' enforceability. The standards' applicability is not limited to Federal income tax practice; thus, the language has been changed to mirror the broader scope. The SSTSs are intended to be part of an ongoing process that may require continuing change and interpretation. The eight SSTSs and one Interpretation are as follows:
1. Tax Return Positions and Interpretation No. 1-1, "Realistic Possibility Standard."
2. Answers to Questions on Returns.
3. Certain Procedural Aspects of Preparing Returns.
4. Use of Estimates.
5. Departure From a Position Previously Concluded in an Administrative Proceeding or Court Derision.
6. Knowledge of Error: Return Preparation.
7. Knowledge of Error: Administrative Proceedings.
8. Form and Content of Advice to Taxpayers. The SSTSs can be downloaded 6r ordered from the AICPA Website, http://www.aicpa.org/members/div/ tax/exsumsts2.htm, by clicking on an appropriate link near the bottom of that page. (Downloading requires use of an Adobe Acrobat Reader.) The paperbound version is $24.95 for members;$31.95for nonmembers; order No. 065013.
Lesli S. Laffie, J.D., LL.M.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Author:||Laffie, Lesli S.|
|Publication:||The Tax Adviser|
|Date:||Dec 1, 2000|
|Previous Article:||Married taxpayer, filing as unmarried head of household, may use full standard deduction.|
|Next Article:||NEFE's Wealth Care Kit.|