Printer Friendly

SOCAL EDISON RETIRES UNIT 1 AT SAN ONOFRE PLANT

 SAN CLEMENTE, Calif., Nov. 30 ~PRNewswire~ -- Unit 1 at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station was permanently retired today, according to Southern California Edison, operator of the 450 megawatt generating unit.
 The unit was retired in accordance with a decision on Aug. 11, 1992, by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) approving a settlement agreement between co-owners Southern California Edison Co. and San Diego Gas & Electric Co. (NYSE: SDO), and the CPUC Division of Ratepayer Advocates.
 The settlement allows both utilities to collect from customers the remaining net investment in Unit 1, about $350 million for Edison and $110 million for SDG&E, which will be amortized over four years. Edison owns 80 percent of the generating unit, and SDG&E, the remaining 20 percent.
 Unit 1 began commercial operation in 1968. During its nearly 25 years of service it produced more than 52 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity. When it concluded its current cycle today, Unit 1 had been in continuous operation for 377 days, surpassing previous operational records for any of the three units at the San Onofre station.
 The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission has granted the utilities a so-called Possession Only License. The license permits fuel- related maintenance activities and precludes further operation of the reactor.
 San Onofre Units 2 and 3 will continue to operate and are not affected by the Unit 1 retirement.
 -0- 11~30~92
 ~CONTACT: David Barron of Southern California Edison, 818-302-2255~
 (SDO)


CO: Southern California Edison; San Diego Gas & Electric Co. ST: California IN: UTI SU:

KJ -- LA027 -- 2146 11~30~92 19:10 EST
COPYRIGHT 1992 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Nov 30, 1992
Words:264
Previous Article:PACIFIC SENTINEL TO MERGE WITH CASINO SILVER MINES
Next Article:THREE PEOPLE CONVICTED OF COMPUTER PARTS THEFT FROM DIGITAL EQUIPMENT
Topics:


Related Articles
UNIT 3 COMPLETES REFUELING IN RECORD 65-DAY OUTAGE
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EDISON REPORTS NO DAMAGE AT SAN ONOFRE FROM SUNDAY'S EARTHQUAKES
SAN DIEGUITO RIVER VALLEY CHOSEN AS SITE OF MAJOR WETLANDS RESTORATION PROJECT
SAN ONOFRE UNIT 2 BREAKS SITE RECORD FOR CONTINUOUS DAYS ON-LINE
AGREEMENT POSITIONS SAN ONOFRE UNITS 2 & 3 FOR A COMPETITIVE FUTURE
S&P Assigns A-1 Rating to Edison International's Commercial Paper; Southern California Edison Outlook Now Positive
Edison Forms Equity Alliance For Environmental Projects

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters