Printer Friendly

SCICLONE FILES FIRST PRODUCT LICENSE APPLICATION TO MARKET ZADAXIN IN SINGAPORE FOR CHRONIC HEPATITIS B

 SAN MATEO, Calif., July 22 /PRNewswire/ -- SciClone Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ-NMS: SCLN) has filed a product license application with the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Singapore for approval to market Zadaxin(TM) for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B.
 This product license application is the first request for commercial sale of product for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B, and is also the first such filing for SciClone. It therefore represents a significant milestone for the company, and for the drug.
 Hepatitis B is a major health problem throughout the world, especially in Southeast Asia, where are approximately 40 million carriers of the hepatitis B virus. Approximately 55 percent of these hepatitis B carriers suffer from the chronic disease while the remaining 45 percent are asymptomatic. Most of the asymptomatic carriers initially contract the virus "vertically" from mother to child at birth. Singapore itself, with a total population of about 3 million people, has some 250,000 hepatitis B carriers. SciClone hopes for an expeditious approval, given the seriousness of the disease which often leads to cirrhosis of the liver and liver cancer
 Singapore is the economic and medical hub for Southeast Asia and is generally regarded as its opinion leader in health care technology. Thomas E. Moore, chairman and chief executive officer of SciClone, stated, "Singapore has some of the finest hospital facilities and medical expertise in the world. If this application is approved, Singapore will provide a cohesive and modern environment for the use of Zadaxin(TM) and will serve as a beacon for other countries in the future treatment of hepatitis B."
 SciClone Pharmaceuticals Inc. is primarily engaged in the acquisition, development and marketing of pharmaceuticals on a worldwide basis. The company's primary focus is on therapeutic areas for infectious diseases (such as hepatitis B), cancers and immune system disorders that are life-threatening, and place major cost burdens on the world's healthcare systems.
 -0- 7/22/93
 /CONTACT: Thomas E. Moore, chairman and chief executive officer of SciClone Pharmaceuticals, 415-358-3456; or media, Liz Landy, or investors, Lilian S. Stern, 212-505-1919, both of Burns McClellan for SciClone Pharmaceuticals/
 (SCLN)


CO: SciClone Pharmaceuticals Inc. ST: California IN: MTC SU:

TM-GT -- SF011 -- 4880 07/22/93 19:27 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Jul 22, 1993
Words:370
Previous Article:CDFA ANNOUNCES ANOTHER GUAVA FRUIT FLY FOUND IN SACRAMENTO; ADDITIONAL TRAPS ARE DEPLOYED IN FIND AREA
Next Article:FIRST HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE RESORT OPENS ON FRENCH RIVIERA
Topics:


Related Articles
SCICLONE PHARMACEUTICALS RECEIVES APPROVAL TO MARKET ZADAXIN(TM) IN SINGAPORE
SCICLONE PHARMACEUTICALS FILES FOR APPROVAL OF ZADAXIN(TM) IN HONG KONG
SCICLONE PHARMACEUTICALS BEGINS ASYMPTOMATIC HEPATITIS B TRIALS IN SINGAPORE
SCICLONE RESPONDS TO ALPHA 1 PRELIMINARY TRIAL REPORT
SCICLONE PHARMACEUTICALS RECEIVES APPROVAL TO MARKET ZADAXIN(R) THYMOSIN ALPHA 1 IN THE PHILIPPINES FOR THE TREATMENT OF CHRONIC HEPATITIS B
SciClone Pharmaceuticals Reports Statistically Significant U.S. Hepatitis C Trial Data Using ZADAXIN(R) Thymosin Alpha 1 at Annual Liver Disease...
Hepatology Article Points to Promise of Thymosin Alpha 1 as a Therapy for Hepatitis C
SciClone Announces that Schering-Plough K.K. Has Advanced the Japanese Hepatitis C Program for ZADAXIN(R) Thymosin Alpha 1
SciClone's ZADAXIN(R) Thymosin Alpha 1 Decreases Formation of Lung Tumors In Mice
SciClone begins phase 3 Zadaxin triple therapy hepatitis C trial in Europe; achieves enrollment milestone in US.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters