Printer Friendly

SCALDED BILLY IS KILLED BY FAULTY THERMOSTAT; Brother blames valve for care home death.


A DISABLED man who died in agony in a scalding bath could have been saved if a faulty thermostat had been repaired.

Wheelchair-bound Billy Thomson, 44, suffered 40 per cent burns and later died of multiple organ failure.

Billy - who had a mental age of two - was unable to speak to alert his carers at the care home in Crossmylo of, Glasgow, run by Turning Point Scotland.

A carer was suspended after the incident Last May 29 and Billy's death was reported by the Sunday Mail.

An inquiry has shown staff knew of the problembut the valve was not fixed.

Turning Point Scotland's insurers have written to Cameron Fyfe, the lawyer acting for Billy's brother Jim.

They claim property owners Sanctuary Scotland Housing Association, were responsible for fixing the valve. Last night, Jim, 47, said: "If that valve had been fixed, my brother would be here. Someone has to take responsibility."

Turning Point Scotland said: "We have co-operated fully with the Health and Safety Executive and their report."

The Health and Safety Executive said: "There may be legal action, so we are unable to comment."

Sanctuary Scotland Housing Association said: "We have given the authorities every support."

Cameron Fyfe said: "My client asked me to pursue this case for damages and we are looking at various options."



Shocking: We told of the tragedy
COPYRIGHT 2007 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Sunday Mail (Glasgow, Scotland)
Geographic Code:4EUUK
Date:Feb 25, 2007
Previous Article:pounds 200,000 of drugs found in garden; HAUL IN RUCKSACK.
Next Article:Liz vows by friend Versace.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2021 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters