SAUDI ARABIA - Aug. 11 - Prince Saud Dismisses US Accusations.
Saud called the allegations baseless and said the hundreds of millions of dollars the kingdom had extended to the Palestinians went to the PA, which was also a major recipient of aid from the EU. Moreover, he said, the Saudi government had cut off financing to all groups that it had identified as advocating terrorism. Saud said: "Suddenly, Saudi Arabia has gone from staunch ally of the United States to the centre of all evil in the world. The senators raise these accusations. The least they can do, instead of accusing, is to verify. And I'm afraid that neither of them has verified". Saud also noted that Al Qaida was a sworn enemy of the government that wanted to crush the ruling monarchy and sever the kingdom's relations with the US. He said: "It would be the ultimate of contradictions that we finance those who are trying to do harm to our country, but these facts seems to be left aside or disregarded". Riyadh officials said that since late last year, the authorities have questioned 2,000-3,000 Saudis who had been to Afghanistan, Bosnia or Chechnya and were suspected of having participated in the wars there. Of those questioned, at least 200 remain in custody.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||APS Diplomat Recorder|
|Article Type:||Brief Article|
|Date:||Aug 17, 2002|
|Previous Article:||LEBANON - Aug. 13 - Two Dead In Palestinian Refugee Camp.|
|Next Article:||TURKEY - Aug. 10 - Dervis Quits To Step Up Leftwing Alliance Campaign.|