Printer Friendly

Russian FM: Iran-World Powers N. Deal 95 Percent Agreed.

TEHRAN (FNA)- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov announced that approximately 95 percent of a final nuclear deal between Iran and the six major world powers has been agreed by both sides, and said the remaining five percent is very challenging and difficult but resolvable if both sides show political will.

"I think we are moving (forward). We are moving in the right direction. Some 95 percent maybe of the deal, if you take the paper, which is being negotiated, is agreed. But the remaining 5 percent consists of two or three very difficult issues," Lavrov said, RIA Novosti reported.

"(The issues are) Difficult, I mean, they're resolvable, but difficult from the point of view of making a political decision to compromise on both sides," he added.

"We - together with China - proposed (a) couple of formulations which can be useful. They are not rejected. The consultations, negotiations would continue. We still have (a) couple of months before the date which was targeted, November 24. So, I am cautiously optimistic," the minister said.

In a meeting between Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and Lavrov in News York on Saturday, both sides emphasized that six world powers' talks with Tehran must continue till achieving a comprehensive agreement.

The 7th round of talks between Iran and the world powers started in New York on September 19.

The two sides held six rounds of negotiations in Vienna to reach a comprehensive deal after they inked an interim agreement in Geneva on November 24.

The Geneva agreement took effect on January 20 and expired six months later on July 20. In July, Tehran and the six countries agreed to extend negotiations until November 24 after they failed to reach an agreement on a number of key issues.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister and senior negotiator Seyed Abbas Araqchi underlined on Friday that Tehran would never accept to make a deal through crossing or ignoring its redlines in the talks with the Group 5+1 (the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany).

He underscored that Iran was ready to accept solutions that would allay concerns over the country's nuclear energy program provided that they take into consideration the Islamic Republic's rights and redlines.

Araqchi said the Iranian negotiating team would continue to insist on Iran's rights and will not overstep the country's "redlines" in the talks.

Acknowledging that the two sides were still divided over "key issues", the Iranian negotiator said, "We will by no means leave the negotiating table, but will not retreat an iota from Iran's rights either."

"The nuclear negotiations have reached a breathtaking point and both sides have entered into many details," Araqchi pointed out.

2014 Fars News Agency. All rights reserved Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).

COPYRIGHT 2014 SyndiGate Media Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2014 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:FARS News Agency
Geographic Code:7IRAN
Date:Sep 28, 2014
Words:458
Previous Article:Iran's President Condemns Unilateralism, Calling for Fair World Order.
Next Article:Rouhani Leaves for Russia to Attend Caspian Sea Summit.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters