Printer Friendly

Russia slams Trump troop deployment.

Byline: CHRISTOPHER BUCKTIN

RUSSIA yesterday accused the Trump administration of "provocation" after the US announced it is sending another 1000 troops to the Middle East.

Acting secretary of defence Patrick Shanahan said additional forces and military hardware would be deployed to the region for "defensive purposes" in response to "hostile behaviour" by Iran.

The move comes after two oil tankers were attacked last week in the Gulf of Oman. Iran denies any role in the attacks.

Shanahan said there was "credible intelligence" about "hostile behaviour by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region".

His announcement followed a similar deployment of 1500 US troops late last month.

Deputy Russian foreign minister Sergei Ryabkov said Moscow had warned the US against "unthinking and reckless pumping up of tensions in an explosive region".

He said Washington's actions "cannot be assessed as anything but a conscious course to provoke war".

CAPTION(S):

ATTACKED Tanker in Gulf

COPYRIGHT 2019 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2019 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)
Geographic Code:4EXRU
Date:Jun 19, 2019
Words:161
Previous Article:No Knives Better Lives message cuts through.
Next Article:Kate takes a bow; Duchess dazzles in blue as royals enjoy the racing at Ascot.
Topics:

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2019 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters