Printer Friendly

Rugby Union: Red might stops Italian champs.

Caledonia Reds celebrated a famous victory yesterday when they beat Italian champs Benetton Treviso in the Heineken Cup.

As Scotland's other three representatives - Glasgow, Borders and Edinburgh - fell under the respective might of Wasps, Bath and Biarritz, the Reds were toasting a deserved 17-9 victory at McDiarmid Park.

John White scored the crucial try twelve minutes from time, while Rowen Shepherd landed three first-half drop goals, with Bryan Easson nailing another after the interval.

Meanwhile, English League champions Wasps beat Glasgow by 46-22.

After the kick-off had been delayed for 20 minutes to allow the crowd to swell to 5000, the visitors took a 6-0 lead thanks to the boot of Gareth Rees.

Cook Islander Tommy Hayes opened Glasgow's account in similar fashion, only for Canadian skipper Rees to make it three from three.

Then England scrum-half Andy Gomarsall went over the line for Wasps, with Rees converting.

Hayes dragged Glasgow back into it with a touchdown, before the visitors replied with a Sheasby try and a conversion from Rees for a 26-7 lead.

Glasgow then bagged the try of the match. Derek Stark launched the move, charging up centre-field, then Mike Beckham and David McLeish were halted a foot from the Wasps line, where the Hayes finished, converting his own score to make it 29-14.

But Wasps strength soon told against the Scots.

Nick Greenstock, Kenny Logan and Shane Roiser touched down, Rees, for a change, succeeding with just one conversion.

There was some consolation for Bulloch, who burrowed over, with sub Cammy Little converting.

At Mansfield Park, Scottish Borders were second best to Bath, the men from The Rec winning 31-17, although this was not a more fluent display from the West country giants.

Russell Earnshaw scored two tries, with Matt Perry, Steve Ojomoh and Steve Horsman touching down. Jon Callard's boot did the rest of the damage in reply to Tony Stanger's try, and penalties from Scott Welsh (3) and full-back Graeme Aitchison.

In the capital, Edinburgh went down 32-15 to Biarritz , that tale of woe including six missed penalty attempts in the first-half, four of them by Duncan Hodge.

Biarritz's David Arrieta, helped himself to 17 points with a try, three conversions and two penalties.

Stevie Reed was Edinburgh's try scorer, which unlucky Hodge converted.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1997 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Author:Gregg, Gavin
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Sep 15, 1997
Previous Article:Snooker: The pot of gold.
Next Article:Shearer KO hits Kenny.

Related Articles
RUGBY: Watt a step-up for big Alan.
Logan stakes claim; Update.
Stark out to sting Wasps; Glasgow glory bid.
Geech gives 'em bodyswerve.
Rugby: Wallabies expect testing time.
Rugby Union: Caer cut Italian red tape.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters