Printer Friendly

Rugby Union: Street on fire early but fade; JUNIOR RUGBY ROUND-UP.

BROADSTREET threatened to upset the odds in their EDF Energy National Trophy clash at Tynedale.

But it wasn't to be as the National Three North side ran out 43-13 winners to maintain their unbeaten start to the season.

But that record was put under severe pressure early on when Broadstreet winger Chris Brember, making his debut for the Midlands One Outfit opened the scoring with a fifth minute try.

Danny Richards kicked the conversion and then added a penalty midway through the half as the underdogs opened up a 10-0 advantage.

Two converted tries from the home side ensured they went in at the break with a 14-10 lead but Street hit back at the start of the second period through a second Richards penalty.

The Northumbrians took control and ran out convincing winners.

Solihull also put in a brave performance against higher ranked visitors before losing 34-3 at home to Peterborough.

The Midlands Two West side trailed by just 6-3 at the interval before the visitors' fitness proved too much for the Portway side to handle after the break.

Peterborough ran in four second-half tries with Joel Burpett grabbing two of them. Flanker Marius Andrijauskas and Lithuanian international Matt Guseimov also scored for the visitors with Ben Chan and winger Chris Kells adding the extras.

Kenilworth's trip to Beverley was postponed after the visitors had problems raising a front row.

In the other National Trophy clash, Malvern suffered a 63-17 defeat at Preston Grasshoppers, the Lancashire outfit leading 42-0 by the break.

Ed Laing converted a penalty try early in the second half for the visitors before Sean Lancett went over for a second score.

Malvern's final contribution came from substitute Julien Lambert.

Leading the way for the home side was scrum-half Phil Webster while centre Paul Bailey successfully converted all nine tries. The one Midlands One clash saw Luctonians run out 23-5 winners at DKs.

Hooker Nick Byron proved the star turn early on with a brace of tries to open up a 10-0 interval lead.

Brett Prior finished the job with a penalty, drop goal and a last minute try which he converted after Malvern's Ian Gowland had scored a try for the home side.
COPYRIGHT 2007 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Sunday Mercury (Birmingham, England)
Date:Oct 14, 2007
Previous Article:Rugby Union: LIGHTNING LEON SEALS WIN.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters