Printer Friendly

Rugby League: Relieved Vikings boss settles for an 'ugly win; WIDNES ........35 LEIGH ...........28.


WIDNES VIKINGS got their Engage Super League season back on track with a 35-28 win over Leigh Centurions at Halton Stadium.

However, it took a late drop-goal from teenager Paul Crook, making his home debut, to finally settle the issue.

Vikings coach Frank Endacott was a relieved man.

'An ugly win's better than a pretty loss,' he said. ' I thought at times they played the better football.

'We played in the first half in patches but I thought we were negative in a lot of situations out there.

'The result is what we wanted but if we play like that against Warrington on Tuesday then we haven't got a show.'

The Vikings had Adam Hughes making his first appearance of the season on the wing and he opened the scoring with a try up the left touchline.

Sadly he was injured in the act of scoring and had t o leave the field with Paul Ballard substituting.

Leigh hit back on nine minutes when a crisp pass fromscrum-half John Duffy put second row Ian Knott over for a an easy touchdown.

Neil Turley's conversion gave the visitors a 6-4 advantage.

It didn't last long as Moule restored the Vikings lead after hitting hooker Mark Smith's bullet pass at speed with Crook converting.

It was see-saw stuff as Leigh stormed back.

Former Warrington winger John Wilshere squeezed in at the corner after concerted pressure on the Widnes line.

Turley's fine touchline conversion put Leigh 12-10 up after 23 minutes.

A series of penalties piggybacked the Vikings into the Leigh '20' were Andrew Emelio controlled a long pass from scrum-half Gary Hulse with his foot before touching down.

Crook's conversion mirrored Turley's at the other end.

At last Widnes broke the pattern of tit-for-tat scoring when substitutes Sala Fa'alogo and Matt Whitaker combined with the latter crossing for another sixpointer to send the Vikings in with a 22-12 half-time lead.

The second half started scrappily but the tension was broken when Hulse scampered over from 15 metres after picking u p aloose pass from prop Julian O' NeillLeigh hit back when Craig Stapleton barged over but the Vikings were soon back in business with a second try for Emelio to make it 34-18.

Two tries in quick succession from the Centurions put the game back in the melting pot at 34-28 with eight minutes remaining.

Crook's drop-goal settled the Vikings nerves and the outcome of the match.

Widnes: Rowlands; Emelio, Connolly, Moule, Hughes; Crook, Hulse; O' Connor, Smith, O' Neill, Stankevitch, Frame, Finnigan. Subs: Mills, Fa'alogo, Whitaker, Ballard.

Leigh: Turley; Maden, Jackson, Cooper, Wilshere; Kent, Duffy; Stapleton, Rowley, Fleary, Leafa, Knott, Wilkes. Subs: Sturm, Moore, Mc Currie, Govin
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2005 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:Liverpool Echo (Liverpool, England)
Date:Mar 26, 2005
Previous Article:Fishing: ANGLING REPORTS.
Next Article:Rugby League: INJURIES ADD TO SAINTS ANGUISH; WIGAN ...........22 ST HELENS .......20 Millward's men edged out in pulsating derby.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters