Printer Friendly

Roofer killed when ladder touches 8,000-volt line.

Byline: Martin Luttrell

MARLBORO - The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating a workplace accident in which an employee of a Worcester roofing company was electrocuted Tuesday.

Two other employees of A. Jacevicius & Co. Inc. were injured by the electrical shock, which occurred shortly before 9 a.m. when the three men were placing a metal ladder against a roof at the Fairmount Heights Condominiums at 61 Fairmont St. The ladder touched an electrical line, according to Marlboro police Detective Martha A. Shea.

Police are withholding the deceased's identity pending notification of family. The victim, 23, is from the Czech Republic and has no local family, Detective Shea said.

"Preliminary information from National Grid was that the line was carrying 8,000 volts," she said. "One of the first responding officers noticed a man on the ground, unconscious, and began to administer CPR to the fallen worker."

State police detectives assigned to the Middesex district attorney's office were notified, and there was no sign of foul play, the detective said.

Medical personnel took over resuscitation efforts before the victim was taken to UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus in Worcester, where he was pronounced dead.

While speaking with the two other workers, police learned that they had also suffered electrical shocks, and they were also taken to UMass Memorial. One was treated and released, while the other remained at the hospital Tuesday, Detective Shea said.

No one at Jacevicius & Co. answered the telephone when a reporter called yesterday, and a message left there was not returned.

Ted Fitzgerald of OSHA's Boston office said Marlboro police notified OSHA of the accident, and an investigator was sent to the work site Tuesday.

"Our investigation will determine if there was any violation of applicable workplace safety standards," Mr. Fitzgerald said. "If there were violations, we could issue a citation and levy fines to the employer."

Mr. Fitzgerald said the investigation can take no longer than six months, but added that investigations involving a fatality usually take days or weeks.
COPYRIGHT 2010 Worcester Telegram & Gazette
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2010 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:LOCAL NEWS
Publication:Telegram & Gazette (Worcester, MA)
Date:Aug 5, 2010
Previous Article:Juvenile Resource Center gets reprieve.
Next Article:City willing to ease limit on window signs; Businesses oppose restriction.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters