Restaurant to open at historic site.
Located in the former Home Savings Bank, the new Zanaro's will maintain the existing landmark architecture in its original form, creating a casually elegant setting, reminiscent of an Italian Villa.
The restaurant will offer 250 seats with various rooms for private parties and meetings, including a special room for intimate gatherings and dinner parties inside the original Dank vault.
The Home Savings Bank, founded in 1893, was the first savings bank in White Plains. More than 30 years later, the founders decided to build new structure at the corner of Main Street and Mamaroneck Avenue.
The doors to the new building were opened on Dec. 21, 1925.
Ironically, the building was quickly dwarfed by a surge of new office building construction downtown that occurred in the final years prior to the Great Depression.
These included the Peoples Bank building that today is owned by the Arts Council of Westchester at the corner of Mamaroneck and Martine Avenues, as well as the nearby North Court and Bar buildings.
The Home Savings building, designed by noted bank architects Holmes and Winslow, was imposing by White Plains standards of the day, as no large buildings had yet been constructed in the downtown.
However, as impressive as the new building was, complete with an electrically controlled vault, newspaper advertisements at the time referred to the Home Savings Bank as being the " most important public institution in White Plains for the Poor Man."
In 1956, the bank's interior was modernized using a 1950's chic approach. With a green and ivory color scheme for the new main banking room, which also included dark Vermont verde marble and lighter shades of carpeting, paint and wallpaper, it took on a new "ultra modem" look.
Mrs. Edwin G Michaelian, wife of the long-time Westchester County Executive, was the interior decorator.
Almost 40 years later, the Home Savings Bank was acquired by Greenpoint Savings Bank.
The new owner occupied the bank until recently when it relocated the branch to new space within City Center on Mamaroneck Avenue.
Architect Jay Haverson, of Haverson Architecture & Design in Greenwich, CT, was retained by Apple-Metro to create the new restaurant space for Zanaro's.
Haverson said the exterior will remain basically the same, with the addition of tastefully done signage, awnings, canopies and lighting.
Inside, the architects will use the bank building's 30foot ceilings to their advantage, creating the feel of a Tuscan courtyard.
The original chandeliers have been refurbished, colorful fabric banners will hang from the ceiling, and creative track lighting will help add to the atmosphere.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Real Estate Weekly|
|Date:||Jul 7, 2004|
|Previous Article:||GVA Williams seals New Roc eatery deal.|
|Next Article:||Holmes and Kennedy's new agent.|