Restaurant planned for marina.
DINERS may soon be enjoying a meal where dockers once worked at a site which was at the heart of Tyneside's shipping trade.
Albert Edward Dock in North Shields was given a Royal launching in 1884.
The Prince of Wales - "Prince Bertie" - arrived in the royal yacht to perform the ceremony at the dock, which was built by the Tyne Improvement Commission over 22 acres. Coal was loaded at the dock for export and timber from the Baltic provided inward trade. In 1928 the adjacent Tyne Commission Quay was built to deal with cargoes from Norway.
After the dock went into decline, it was acquired by the Tyne Wear Development Corporation as part of the major Royal Quays regeneration programme involving new housing and shopping centre.
The dock was transformed into a marina, which opened in 2003.
It now has 350 berths for boats with the potential for another 50.
Now Quay Marinas, which runs the site, plans a development which includes a cafe/bar/restaurant and a new amenity block for boat owners.
The restaurant, overlooking the marina, would also be open to the public. It has been designed by architects Brightblue Studio, based on North Shields Fish Quay.
Details of the scheme will be on show at a public open day at the marina office on Sunday from 10am-1pm.
It is hoped that the new develop-ment will help the marina move from a rating of four gold anchors to the top five-anchor award.
The former Tyne Commission Quay is now called the Northumbria Quay and is used by cruise liners.
"We need more facilities where boat owners can relax and socialise and where the dining would also be open to the whole community, right on the water's edge," said marina manager Matt Simms.
Matt Simms at the marina at Royal Quays, where the restaurant (below) will take shape