Partner organizations ASAE and The Center for Association Leadership provide resources, education, ideas, and advocacy to enhance the power and performance of the association community. ASAE (www.asaenet.org) is the principal membership organization and voice of the association profession. The Center for Association Leadership (www.centeronline.org) is the premier provider of learning, future-focused and strategic research, and knowledge resources for ASAE and the association community. A third entity, ASAE Services, Inc. (www.asaenet.org/services), is the for-profit subsidiary of ASAE. It offers top-quality business products and services to help association executives save time, increase productivity, and add dollars to their bottom lines.
In this department, you will find the programs, products, and services of each entity as well as contact information, valuable Web addresses, and an extensive calendar of events.
Association Management Company Accreditation Program. The AMC accreditation program identifies and assesses quality association management companies and improves the quality of services provided to the association community. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
Associations Advance America Awards. This broad awareness campaign is designed to impress upon people the value of associations, both to their individual and corporate members and to the larger society. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit www.asaenet.org/aaaawards.
Certified Association Executive Program. The CAE program is designed to elevate professional standards, enhance individual performance, and designate those who demonstrate knowledge essential to the practice of association management. For more information, call 202-626-2821; e-mail email@example.com; or visit www.asaenet.org/cae.
ASSOCIATION MANAGEMENT Magazine. ASAE's award-winning publication provides timely, practical information to help members succeed in their dual roles as managers and visionaries. Written by staff, members, experts, and consultants, articles address issues, programs, news, and trends important to nonprofit organizations of all sizes and scopes.
For author guidelines or the latest editorial calendar, call 202-626-2708, or visit www.amonline.org. For a media kit, call 202-626-2702, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books. ASAE's bookstore provides association executives with a comprehensive collection of practical, up-to-date, and innovative management and leadership resources. All members receive a free ASAE publications catalog. For extra copies, please contact the ASAE Member Service Center by phone: 202-371-0940 or 888-950-ASAE; fax: 202-371-8315; or e-mail: email@example.com. Visit the online bookstore at www.asaenet.org/bookstore.
Industry Research. Studies of current practices in association management and the association industry provide relevant benchmarking data on topics such as compensation, technology, meetings, education, governance, publishing, AMCs, and more. For more information, call 202-326-9559, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on custom analyses, call 202-626-2847, or e-mail email@example.com.
Section Newsletters. ASAE's 13 section newsletters provide information targeted to the specific needs of executives in special interest areas of association management. The newsletters are delivered via e-mail to members and are available online at www.asaenet.org/enewsletters/home.
Connect With Peers
Allied Societies Online Directory. To view this online state-by-state listing of ASAE-affiliated societies, go to www.asaenet.org/allieddir.
Networking Listservers. ASAE listservers (e-mail lists) offer members a convenient means of exchanging ideas and information with their colleagues. Each ASAE professional interest section hosts at least one listserver and, as a member, you can subscribe to any or all of them. Five open listservers covering the topics of philanthropy, small-staff associations, diversity, future models, and ESAE-ASAE can also be accessed. The ASAE Web site also retains archives of list conversations that can be searched by topic and date. To sign up, visit www.asaenet.org/listservers. Note that you must be a registered member of the site to access this page. For more information about the section e-mail lists, contact your section liaison (see "Contacts" list).
Who's Who Membership Directory. Use our annual directory to find and stay in touch with colleagues.
THE CENTER FOR ASSOCIATION LEADERSHIP
The ASAE and The Center for Association Leadership Annual Meeting and Exposition. The largest educational opportunity and networking event in the world for association professionals and industry partners. Audiotapes of select annual meeting sessions can be purchased through Meeting Xtensions at www.softconference.com/asae/xtensions.
Great Ideas Conference. Multiday learning experiences focusing on ideas and innovations you can use today to move your association (and your career) forward.
Invitational Forum on Leadership and Management. A high-level summit for senior executives and the world's top authorities on leadership and management.
Other Offerings. Other learning offerings include dozens of seminars, symposia, and conferences focusing on leadership, association management, and other topics for CEOs, senior staff professionals, and emerging leaders, plus online learning tools like the School of Association Management.
Strategic Research Initiatives
Environmental Scanning. Building on the 20-year history of the ASAE Foundation, The Center identifies trends and issues affecting the association community through extensive environmental scanning. Our most recent scanning publication is Scan to Plan: Integrating Trends into the Strategy-Making Process.
Measures of Success Project. This multi-year research project applies to the association community the methodology used by Jim Collins, best-selling author of Built to Last and Good to Great.
State of Community Assessment. Two years of research on the attributes of strong community in associations has led to the development of the State of Community Assessment (SOCA), a survey instrument that association leaders can use to measure the sense of community within their own organizations.
Other initiatives include dozens of publications and ongoing research into many areas of association management.
Executive Update. A perennial award-winning magazine serving association professionals and industry partners.
The Journal of Association Leadership. The only peer-reviewed journal for the association profession, focusing on leading-edge issues in the areas of organizational management and change, strategic leadership, and innovation.
The Association Knowledge Resource Center (Information Central). Providing customized research services for ASAE members and thousands of online resources at www.centeronline.org.
Global Opportunities. An online resource to help you manage your association's transition into the global marketplace. Visit www.asaenet.org/go.
Library. If you're in Washington, D.C., make an appointment to visit The Center for Association Leadership's library, housed in the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center. The library is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Here you'll find books, monographs, samples, and resource materials. To set up an appointment, call 202-326-9559, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plus, you can take advantage of The Center Visionaries program, Knowledge Quests, and other initiatives designed to create and disseminate knowledge that advances the association profession.
Global Advocacy. Associations Make a Better World campaign is a global awareness campaign to help associations promote the value of our industry worldwide. To learn more, check out www.asaenet.org/betterworld, where you can down-load a free brochure and logo. Questions? Contact email@example.com, or call 202-326-9543.
GWSAE Network, which builds connections among and provides resources for association professionals and industry partners in the Greater Washington region. The 7,000-person network blends volunteer opportunities, networking programs, and the largest concentration of associations in the country--more than 3,500 national and international organizations--to support the professional and personal growth of ASAE members in the Greater Washington region.
The Nation's Capital Distinguished Speakers Series, featuring world leaders from all walks of life four times per year at the prestigious Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.
Springtime, the nation's largest one-day trade show in the association and meetings industry, which was recently named one of the Top 50 Fastest-Growing Trade Shows by Tradeshow Week magazine.
ASAE SERVICES, INC.
ASAE Career Headquarters
ASAE's Career Headquarters is the best source of association jobs and resumes. Visit www.careerhq.org to access job listings, search a resume bank, post your resume, hire a job coach, and tap into other career-related resources, including a free career-knowledge database, free behavioral assessments, and resume writing services. Call 202-626-2819, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Special Benefits for ASAE Members
ASAE members can benefit from a variety of affinity programs and services. To learn more, call the numbers below, or go to www.asaenet.org/services.
* ASAE credit card program. MBNA America Bank provides the ASAE Visa WorldPoints credit card, which rewards ASAE members with points for cash and merchandise. Or consider the Platinum Plus for Business MasterCard tailored for ASAE members. Call 800-932-2775. Reference priority code 15MR.
* Car rental. Discounts through various service providers. Call the ASAE Member Service Center at 888-950-ASAE.
* Conferencing and virtual meeting services. Save up to 39 percent on audio, video, and webcast solutions through Citizens Conferencing. Call CommPartners at 877-488-2666.
* Credit card acceptance services. Save on processing rates when accepting credit card payments from your members for dues, meeting registrations, education seminars, and publications. Call Paymentech at 800-772-4383.
* DHL Express shipping program. Save on domestic and international shipping with DHL. Call 800-MEMBERS.
* Distance learning tools. Create custom-branded online registration forms and promotional Web pages for virtual events. With EventsOnline, you can send e-mail invitations linked to registration forms, collect registrations and payments online, download registration data, and archive and resell virtual events. Call CommPartners at 877-488-2666.
* Electronic newsletter design and creation. Create and manage custom-branded electronic newsletters using NewsManager, a Web-based system. With NewsManager, you don't need to know HTML or have other special skills. Newsletters arrive as a graphically rich e-mail with click-through links to articles of interest. Call CommPartners at 877-488-2666.
* E-mail list solutions. Manage your e-mail discussion groups with Listserv software. Associations may license the software for managing lists on their own servers or host their lists on L-Soft's servers. Call CommPartners at 877-488-2666.
* E-marketing and fax service. Create, distribute, and track HTML e-mail messages and newsletters, and automatically send faxes to bounced e-mail addresses from your desktop with MagnetMail. Call CommPartners at 877-488-2666.
* Fax-to-e-mail services. Send and receive faxes confidentially right to your PC--with no need for special fax software or a fax server. With Fax2Mail, you'll eliminate missed or misplaced faxes, assure privacy of faxed information, be able to receive and send faxes while you travel, and save money on equipment maintenance and supplies. Call CommPartners at 877-488-2666.
* Investment program. Provides customized management of an association's investment needs with cash management alternatives, certificates of deposit, income and equity accounts, and more. Call Legg Mason at 800-662-0267.
* Online career services. Attract and retain members and generate revenue by offering career development services integrated seamlessly with your association's Web site and branded with your association's identity. Call Boxwood Technology at 800-331-2177.
* Online survey tool. Create and publish surveys on your Web site or embed them into your e-mail communication. With MagnetSurveys, you can track responses, analyze data, and create reporting views. Call CommPartners at 877-488-2666.
* Retirement program. Choose services and investment options to meet staff needs, or sponsor a retirement program for your members. Call the Principal Financial Group at 877-569-1298.
* Savings solutions program. Help your members save and recover revenue on telecommunications, energy, waste management, shipping and freight services, trash removal, water, and recycling with the Savings Solutions Program from Affiliated Power Purchasers International, LLC. Call McKinley Marketing at 301-961-0022, ext. 311.
* Xerox copiers and office equipment. Members can save on the sale or lease of Xerox copiers, printers, facsimile machines, and so forth. Call 800-ASK-XEROX, ext. ASAE1, and reference contract 0711866.
* Xerox short-term equipment rental and event services. Xerox provides services ranging from simple equipment rental and service to planning, implementing, and running a document headquarters at your next event. Call 800-734-6856, and ask for the Short-Term Rental Group. Reference contract 0711866.
* Association convention cancellation. Travelers and Aon Association Services can protect your association against loss of revenue resulting from the cancellation of a convention or meeting. Call 800-453-5191.
* Association directors and officers liability. Protect the assets of your association and its board members with coverage from The Hartford and Aon Association Services. Call 800-453-5191.
* Association insurance company start-up. Offer a valuable member benefit and earn investment and underwriting income by forming a captive insurance company--facilitated by the ASAE Insurance Company. Call Ed Armstrong at 202-626-2869.
* Association insurance consulting services. Evaluate and improve insurance coverages, and identify and implement association-sponsored insurance programs for your members. Call Ed Armstrong at 202-626-2869.
* Association management company professional liability. With this policy, protect your exposure and that of the associations you manage. Call Aon Association Services at 800-453-5191.
* Association office package. Competitive rates offered from The Hartford and Aon Association Services for protection of property, general liability, business interruption, computer systems, automobile liability, crime/employee dishonesty, and workers' compensation. Call 800-453-5191.
* Captive and self-insurance solutions for associations. RiskCap provides assistance to associations and their brokers for the feasibility, design, implementation, and management of captive insurance and other self-insurance alternatives. Call Richard Poling at 303-388-5688.
* Specialized professional liability. MIMS International's professional liability errors and omissions coverage is profession specific and can create a nondues revenue source. Call 800-899-1399.
* Standard-setting errors and omissions liability insurance. Protection against claims for financial loss, contingent bodily injury and property damage, unintentional discrimination, copyright infringement, misappropriation of ideas, and more. Call Media/Professional Insurance at 816-471-6118.
* Advertising: 202-626-2702; email@example.com
* AMC/CAE Certification: 202-626-2821; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Association Knowledge Center: 202-326-9559; email@example.com
* CEO Center: 202-326-9559; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Conference Center: 202-626-2799; email@example.com
* Education: 202-326-9549; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Expositions: 202-626-2817; email@example.com
* Global Resource Center: 202-326-9543; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Industry and Market Research: 202-626-2847; email@example.com
* Member Service Center: 202-371-0940 or 888-950-ASAE; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Public Policy: 202-626-2703; email@example.com
* Public Relations: 202-626-2798; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Publishing and Publication Sales: 202-626-2783; email@example.com
* Association Management Company: Greg Melia, CAE, 202-626-2821; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Communication: Keith C. Skillman, CAE, 202-626-2731; email@example.com
* Component Relations: Wanda Little-Coffey, CAE, 202-626-2775; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Executive Management: Sarah Varner, CAE, 202-626-2791; email@example.com
* Finance and Business Operations: Malcolm Karl, CAE, 202-626-2743; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Government Relations: Jim Clarke, CAE, 202-626-2865; email@example.com
* International: Scott Steen, 202-326-9543; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Legal: Dawn Latham, CAE, 202-626-2874; email@example.com
* Marketing: Ron McNally, 202-626-2792, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Meetings and Expositions: Amy Ledoux, CAE, 202-626-2765; email@example.com
* Membership: Carylann Pishner, 202-626-2729; firstname.lastname@example.org
* Professional Development: Jamie Sadler, 202-326-9541; email@example.com
* Technology: Reggie Henry, 202-626-2871; firstname.lastname@example.org
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||services of American Society of Association Executives|
|Date:||May 1, 2005|
|Previous Article:||Q: what lessons have you learned from planning or attending an overseas convention?|
|Next Article:||Calendar of upcoming events.|