Printer Friendly

Resettling KCR affected - Japan to build thousands of homes.

Karachi Circular Railway seems to have run into good luck. Japan will build thousands of homes in Malir for those removed from the track which has been hosting kuchi abadies for nearly two decades since KCR was put off in early 1990s.

G/o Japan is likely to okay constructing thousands of homes for those who will be required to vacate the land along the track for the $ 2.5 billion KCR. A delegation of Karachi Urban Transport Corp (KUTC) officials had discussed various issues of the mega project in a recent visit of to Japan. The resettlement issue too was discussed.

As per details coming from well placed insiders, the first step will be doubling of 30 km KCR track and giving it modern signaling and telecom system. Then it will be given two dedicated tracks along the main railway line from City Station to Drig Road Station (14.5 km). This would later be linked to Airport (6 km away).

KCR is to be funded by G/o Japan through Japan Bank of International Cooperation. Tokyo has allowed 100% funding for the project under STEP Loan at 0.2% markup for 30 years, plus 10 years of grace period, if needed.

The project will affect about 15,000 houses. Japan's decision to construct homes for the displaced is not only good for KUTC but also for the affected, who are expected to move happily to these homes with all utility services.

Land for resettling the affected has already been obtained from G/o Sindh in Malir area by resolving the matter with Malir Development Authority. Sources further claimed that agreement for releasing over $ 2.5 billion for KCR project is likely to be singed by early May.

According to a survey done a few years ago, 72% area on either side of KCR tracks hosts commercial plazas, residential apartments, bungalows, institutional buildings, shopping centers, factories, warehouses and petrol pumps. The remaining 28% area on either side of KCR tracks is occupied by Kachi Abadis and low income settlements.

KUTC has completed Preliminary Public Consultation Meetings and Information Disclosure, demarcation survey, socioeconomic survey, satellite imagery and allocation of land for resettlements.

COPYRIGHT 2013 Asianet-Pakistan
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2013 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Pakistan Engineering Review
Geographic Code:9JAPA
Date:Apr 15, 2013
Previous Article:Construction: cost doubles.
Next Article:Road accidents - KMC, NH and MP to take steps.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2020 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters