Research and publication: Are we moving in the right direction.
Byline: Asra Khan, Rehana Rehman and Saara Ahmad
Madam, research at test predictions through observation and experimentation revealing unknown mechanisms but must be through quality assurance. While, recently publications are used for gathering titles and the number of publications are measured for quantity not quality barring knowledge and learning acquisition devoid of meaningful impact.1 For the reason, Quality Assurance Research (QAR) is applied to ensure research quality. QAR cares for2 project planning, samples handling, equipment, operations, products, compliance and documentation.3 Compromising QAR may result in poor research products with breach in researcher's integrity.4 For research improvement it's imperative to gauge research quality by Good Research Practice (GRP) through Quality Assurance Committee (QAC). This assures unmatched research and publication by scientists.
Likewise, QAR also implements principles for laboratory employees as proper labelling and potent reagents utilization, software needs and frequently organizes workshops and seminars for staff training and appraisal.5 On the other hand QAC resources allows quality assurance methods and documentation for lifetime of the research and references from the positive and fruitful outcome from research. Hence, QAR principles and QAC agendas go hand in hand for beneficial and meaningful outcome of the research as well as better result profiles of the laboratories to enhance the eminence of the outcomes and their dissemination for the wellbeing and welfare of the human community at large.
1. Collingridge DS, Gantt EE. The quality of qualitative research. Am J Med Qual 2008; 23: 389-95.
2. Bialke M, Rau H, Thamm OC, Schuldt R, Penndorf P, Blumentritt A, et al.Toolbox for Research, or how to facilitate a central data management in small-scale research projects. J Transl Med 2018; 16: 16.
3. Prosek M, Golc-Wondra A, Krasnja A. Quality assurance systems in research and routine analytical laboratories. Accred Qual Assur 2000; 5: 451-3.
4. Sargeant J. Qualitative Research Part II: Participants, Analysis, and Quality Assurance. J Grad Med Educ 2012; 4: 1-3.
5. Wandersman A, Chien VH, Katz J. Toward an evidence-based system for innovation support for implementing innovations with quality: tools, training, technical assistance, and quality assurance/quality improvement. Am J Community Psychol 2012; 50: 445-59.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Journal of Pakistan Medical Association|
|Date:||Oct 31, 2018|
|Previous Article:||Where have all the cell organelles gone during the cell division?|
|Next Article:||Comments on Bushra Gul et al (J Pak Med Assoc. 68: 872-875, 2018) - Impact of social support for expecting mothers in association with health related...|