Printer Friendly

Requirements for going to "The show".

Is there anything more fun than taking your animals to a show or ,fair? You not only get to show off that prize ewe or doe, you get to see all of your friends' best animals too. Showing is a good way to promote conservation priority breeds because they are before the eyes of interested people and looking their best. It's a lot of work but it's worth it, and this year there is one more thing to add to your show "To Do" list--make sure you're in compliance with the new Scrapes Eradication Rules. The bottom line is that exhibitors need to fully comply with official scrapie identification (ID) regulations.

Before we get to specifics, there is one more thing you need to know: ID requirements can and do vary from show to show and state to state. The rules covered in this brochure are the basic standards outlined by federal regulations. Shows/exhibitions and individual states must meet these federal standards, but they can, and often do, exceed them. So to be safe, always check with your event organizers and/ or state animal health officials.

The Basics for Shows and Exhibitions

Q. What categories of sheep and goats require official ID at shows/ exhibitions?

A. All breeding females, i.e. ewes, ewe lambs, does and doelings; All breeding rams and bucks.

Q. What categories of sheep and

goats do not require official scrapie ID for shows/exhibitions?

A. Wethers, unless otherwise required by state regulations in the state where the show is taking place or by a specific show's rules.

Q. Does this mean that official scrapie ID must be in place for all sheep and goats, as outlined in the first question, for all shows?

A. No, shows and exhibitions that are not open to out-of-state exhibitors are not required to have official scrapie ID. However, the show or state may have such a requirement, so be sure to check the show rules or with the organizers of the event.

Q. When can breed registration tattoos be used in place of official scrapie ID tags?

A. A registration tattoo can be used when the animal is accompanied by its registration paper or a photocopy or a completed application for registration.

Q. Are electronic microchips allowed in goats for exhibition?

A. If your goat breed registry recognizes electronic microchips as an authorized form of ID and the microchip number is recorded on the registration certificate, then electronic ID is acceptable. You must also have your registration certificate (or a copy of it) or a health certificate that includes the microchip number that matches the one on the registration certificate. Further, you must take your own reader unless one is provided by the show.

Q. When should sheep or goats be tagged?

A. Any time prior to leaving the farm or ranch.

Q. What about health certificates?

A. Anytime sheep or goats cross state lines, they must be accompanied by a health certificate (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection).

Note: Check the show rules; some events require health certificates for all entries.

Q. How do I know if a given show will have entries from other states?

A. Check the show's official rules or ask the show organizers.

Q. Who do I call to find out what my state requires for official scrapie ID at shows/exhibitions?

A. Contact your local veterinarian. Also, your State Veterinarian's Office can inform you of ID requirements and movement restrictions. Phone numbers for the 50 State Veterinarian Offices can be obtained at

Q. If I am taking my animals to an out-of-state show, can I assume that I have official scrapie ID and a health certificate?

A. Yes.

Q. Where can I get official identification tags and/or more information?

A. Simply call 1-866-873-2824. That number will put you in touch with animal health officials in your state who are responsible for the scrapie eradication program.

Q. What if my sheep or goat loses its official ID?

A. Replace it with a new one, and record the new number and flock of birth in your records.

Q. If I sell my sheep or goat at the show, what records am I required to keep?

A. Record the ID of the individual animal(s) sold and the buyer's name, address and telephone number and retain the records for five years.

Q. Where can I find out more about scrapie and the scrapie eradication program?

A. Contact your local veterinarian or call your State Veterinarian's Office. Or, check out:


* APHIS Veterinary Services; or

* National Institute for Animal Agriculture: www.animalagriculture .org/scrapie

Established in 1977, The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy is a national, non-profit, membership organization based in Pittsboro, North Carolina dedicated to the conservation and promotion of endangered breeds of livestock and poultry.

ALBC's conservation efforts include research on breed status and characteristics; developing breed specific strategies for conservation; maintaining a gene bank of rare breeds; strengthening the stewardship skills of breeders through various educational venues; and educating the public through workshops, conferences and publications. ALBC is the only organization in the United States that does this important work.

Membership is only $30. To become a member, for information about breed conservation, or to contribute to ALBC's efforts,contact us at: PO Box 477, Pittsboro, NC 27312, ph.919-542-5704 or on the web at

(From the National Institute for Animal Agriculture.)
COPYRIGHT 2004 Countryside Publications Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2004 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Countryside & Small Stock Journal
Date:Jul 1, 2004
Previous Article:Hair sheep numbers are growing.
Next Article:Single homesteaders give tips, encouragement to others: next month: canning recipes.

Related Articles

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters