Remembering an earlier Cavalier.
Byline: Ian Johnson
MENTION the word Cavalier in motoring circles and the conversation will almost certainly swing towards Vauxhall. But there was another Cavalier from an earlier generation that was a show-stopper in its day. The Graham Cavalier was built by the American Graham-Paige company which started operations in 1928. The three Graham brothers, Robert, Ray and Joseph took over Paige, Detroit and continued building the old Straightaway Eight together with new six-cylinder Continental-engined models.
At the time of the takeover, Graham-Paige was the 12th largest US car company, but from then on its market share started to slide.
The company tried some innovative and powerful engineering and in 1936 the very modern-looking Cavalier was born powered by a 3,679cc sixcylinder engine.
With its 116 inch wheelbase, the Cavalier featured a device that would provide "instant lubrication" of the cylinder walls.
The device, which was used to feed oil to the piston with the first movement of the starter engine, prevented scuffing and abrasive wear. Some 23mpg was attainable, excellent for a car of this type at the time.
Automobile production ceased in 1940, and its automotive assets were acquired by Kaiser-Frazer in 1947. As a corporate entity, the Graham-Paige name continued until 1962.
In the UK a Graham Cavalier is as rare as hen's teeth but a family member spotted one in surprisingly good condition on a low loader heading for restoration, so hopefully we may see a Cavalier of earlier days rubbing shoulders with similarly named Vauxhall models at future classic shows.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Title Annotation:||News; Teasers|
|Publication:||Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)|
|Date:||Feb 13, 2015|
|Previous Article:||Expect a summery Expect a summery disposition driving a Lexus driving a Lexus.|
|Next Article:||Topless TT's a red Topless TT's a red hot roadster.|