Relieving symptoms of menopause. (Neighborhood Heart Watch).
Here is a list of remedies and lifestyle changes for women who wish to explore alternatives to HRT for hot flashes and night sweats:
* Black cohosh, an herbal remedy used by Native Americans for women's health. Small studies in Germany--where it has been used for 30 years as a treatment for hot flashes--indicate safety and effectiveness. Two studies on black cohosh are currently underway in the United States.
* Licorice, red clover, and chasteberry supplements are other traditional remedies for menopausal symptoms.
* Ask your doctor about estradiol and micronized progesterone, prescription medicines identical to the hormones produced in the human body.
* Add estrogen to your diet by eating foods rich in soy. Try putting two tablespoons of ground flaxseed in a smoothie or over cereal.
* Avoid alcohol and spicy foods. These can trigger hot flashes.
* Dress in layers that can be removed during a hot flash.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Article Type:||Brief Article|
|Date:||Jul 1, 2002|
|Previous Article:||Controlling atrial fibrillation. (Neighborhood Heart Watch).|
|Next Article:||Wired for sound.|