Printer Friendly

Raver died from drug overdose; Nightclub condemned by coroner.

Byline: By SAM CASEY News Reporter

A TEENAGE raver died after taking at least seven Ecstasy tablets, an inquest heard.

Now a coroner has condemned the Bradford nightclub where Andrew Hook went partying the night he died.

The Bradford inquest heard 19-year-old Andrew, of Highlands Avenue, Almondbury, was at an all-night rave at The Mill nightclub on July 8 when he took the pills.

Best friend Joseph Harley, 19, of Berry Brow, said the pair regularly took Ecstasy.

On the night in question Andrew had 20 tablets, known as "cherry bombs," with him.

He shared them with Joseph and possibly one other person.

They both took a tablet every half an hour for four hours.

At 4am Andrew became uncommunicative, had a temperature and was sweating.

He collapsed near the club around 5 am.

He was taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary, where he was found to have a temperature of 41 degC. He later died.

A post-mortem examination found he died from hyperpyrexia, or an extremely high fever.

It was caused by the ingestion of MDMA, the active ingredient in Ecstasy, the inquest was told.

Another witness, who was 15 at the time, told the inquest someone she knew had been discovered with pills by doorstaff. They allegedly told her to take in only four tablets.

Recording a verdict that Andrew died from abuse of drugs, Coroner Roger Whittaker launched a scathing attack on club bosses.

He said it was inconceivable they were unaware of drug taking and dealing on the premises.

He said: "I am horrified looking at the pictures of the Mill. The premises are disgusting.

"It must be common knowledge that this was where young people congregated to take Ecstasy.

"I am going to make a report to the licensing authority because I believe places like this should not exist without controls."

He also issued a warning to drug

"It is clear from the evidence that the majority of people at the event were using E as a means of enhancing their experience, seemingly oblivious to the dangers," he said.

"This drug is no respecter of persons and I take the view that anybody can die if they have taken E regardless of quantity.

"Andrew was a healthy 19-year-old who died totally unnecessarily due to the use of these tablets."

A Bradford Council spokesman said authorities including the police, fire service and environmental health could ask for a review of any licences.

He added: "If an application for a review were received this would be given due consideration at a hearing of the licensing committee."

No-one at The Mill was available for comment.

Three people arrested in connection with Andrew's death are still on bail.

CAPTION(S):

DANGER: Ecstasy tablets pose a fatal threat; ATTACK: Coroner Roger Whittaker
COPYRIGHT 2007 MGN Ltd.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2007 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:Huddersfield Daily Examiner (Huddersfield, England)
Date:Nov 27, 2007
Words:461
Previous Article:Private pupils land top places.
Next Article:'Mothers-to-be left alone while giving birth'.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters