Radio results -- and radio gets results.
Radio trends -- The PPM Nielsen Audio markets 40-52
by Clark Smidt
This is Election Crunch Time. My backyard has two very close races in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, so here's a timely suggestion for candidates needing to win:RADIO!! Smart presentation and strategic placement on local stations will make the winning difference. Just don't wait 'til "I coulda, shoulda." Fast, cost-efficient production and one-to-one communication is radio's magical connection. By the way, does anyone think guidelines against PAC ad negativity should be considered, i.e. saying why you're for vs. against? But, that's another story. Let's check the more subscriber only PPM Nielsen results. And, that's another story, too.
40. INDIANAPOLIS, IN . 6+ Population1,429,100. Top 5: Emmis Soft A/C WYXB takes the marbles with #1 share and #1 cume, July/August/September 7.2-7.0-7.2, with 408k weekly listeners. Just .4 separates share positions 2 through 5: Entercom CHR WZPL 7.3-6.1-6.7, Cumulus ClassicHits WJJK 7.6-6.6-6.6, Emmis Country WLHK 6.5-7.1-6.4 and CMLS Country WFMS 5.7-6.4-6.3. Music. Radio One UrbanA/C WTLC 6.7-6.3-6.1, RymCHR WHHH 5.1-5.4-5.2, CHR WNOW/F 3.8-4.4-3.4 and Gospel WTLC/A 1.8. Entercom HotA/C WNTR 4.1-4.2-4.7, iHeart ModRock WOLT 3.9-4.4-4.3, CMLS CHR WRWM 1.9-2.0-2.3 and non-comm U. Indianapolis Jazz WICR .6. News/Talk: Emmis WIBC 5.3-5.1-5.6, Metropolitian Indianapolis Broadcasting WFYI 1.7-2.0-2 .3. Sports: Emmis WENI 2.2, Emmis WIBC-HD2 1.5, iHeart WNDE .6 and Entercom WXNT .1. Religious Teaching Moody Bible Institute WGNR quadcast 1.1 and Olivet Nazarene U. ChristianRock WHZN .4. Indianapolis Market Stats(with a side bet on an iHeart spin): 47 stations, 47% Nielsen subscribers, AfroAm 16%, Spanish 6%, Largest August/September share swings: +.6 CHR WZPL, -.9 CHR WNOW/F. Cluster Shares: Emmis 22.9, Radio One 17.5, Cumulus 15.2, Entercom 11.5.
41. MIDDLESEX, NJ . 1,420,300. Overwhelmingly NYC stations with shares ranking #1 CBS ClassicHits 6.7, iHeart ClassicRock WAXQ 6.4, Local Townsquare TalkWKXW 4.9-5.4-6.0, iHeart CHR WHTZ 5.4, Emmis UrbanA/C WBLS 4.8 and 6th placeLocalGreater Media A/C WMGQ 4.6-4.8-4.6. #1 cume is NYC iHeart CHR WHTZ 459k. Middlesex-Union Stats: 37 stations, 92% subscribers, Spanish 20%, AfroAm 13%, largest market swings are local stations: +.6 Talk WKXW, -.2 A/C WMGQ. 6 other local stations all register less than a one share: GreaterMedia Talk WCTC .8, Press Communications Country WKMK/WTHJ .6 & Hot A/C WWZY/WBHK .2, Townsquare HotA/C WJLK .4 & ClassicRock WCHR .1 and Newark Public Jazz WBGO .1. Local Cluster Shares: Townsquare 6.5, Greater Media 5.6.
42. PROVIDENCE, RI. 1,381,000. Cumulus has a #1 -- #1 combination: CHR WPRO-FM 9.8-8.6-9.0 share and 504k cume. Hall Communications WCTK has a small slip from their last #1 to a very close 2nd, 8.9-9.1-8.9. iHeart Media takes 3rd, 5th and 6th ranks with ClassiHits WWBB 8.3-8.2-7.9, Rock WHJY 6.8-7.1-6.6 & HotA/C WSNE 6.2-5.5-6.2. 4th place belongs to Cumulus A/C WWLI 6.8-7.1-7.6. Music. CMLS RymCHR WWKX 3.5-3.8-3.7, Davidson Tropical WKKB 2.4-2.3-2.4, Bryant University Classical .3 and Boston Classical WCRB .1. News/Talk: CMLS WPRO/WEAN 5.0-4.9-5.2, WGBH 1.6-1.3-1.2, iHeart WHJJ .6, Rhode Island Public WELH/WRNI .5, Cumulus WPRV .3. Sports: Entercom WVEI/F 3.3-3.5-3.7. Ocean State Stats: 28 Stations, 57% Subscribe, Spanish 10% AfroAm 5%, Swings: +.7 HotA/C WSNE, -.5 Rock WHJY. Shares: Cumulus 25.9, iHeart 21.3, Hall 8.9.
43. RALEIGH-DURHAM, N.C . 1,377,700. Local O&Os earn the top 3 spots. Curtis Media Country WQDR has the #1 share 11.1-11.4-9.4 on #4 cume, followed by Capitol Broadcasting A/C WRAL 7.8-7.5-7.3 with #1 cume 487k. 3rd share is a tie between University of North Carolina N/T WUNC 7.2-6.8-6.6 and Radio One Urban WQOK 5.3-6.1-6.6. Just a "hair" behind is an almost identical tie for 5th share, iHeart CHR WDCG 6.3-6.4-6.5 and Curtis AdultHits WBBB 6.2-6.4-6.5. Music. Radio One: Gospel WNNL 4.1-4.2-5.8 & UrbanA/C WFJKX/WFXK6.0-5.3-5.5. iHeart includes: ClassicRock WRDU 4.4-5.0-5.0, Country WNCB 4.2-4.4-4.8 & ModRock WDCG-HD2, 2.7-2.7-2.4. Educational Information Corp. Classical WCPE quadcast 2.1-2.3-2.4, Radio Training Network Christian WRTP 1. News/Talk/Sports: iHeart Talk WTKK 2.4-2.7-2.4, Curtis N/T WPTF 1.6 & WPTK .5,Capital Sports WDNC .3 & Spanish Sports .2, North Carolina University News WNCU .2 and Curtis Comedy .2. R-D Stats: 39 stations, 59% subscribe, AfroAm 23%, Spanish 10%, Swings +1.6 Gospel WNNL, -2.0 Country WQDR. Shares: Curtis 24.3, iHeart 21.1, Radio One 17.9, Capitol 10.4, University North Carolina 6.6.
44. NORFOLK-VIRGINIA BEACH, VA . 1,358,100. Entercom has the double win with #1 share UrbanA/C WVKL 12.5-12.2-11.1 and #1 cume362k. iHeart Media Urban WOWI 7.6-8.5-8.2, then Max Broadcast Group 3rd & 4th with Country WGH/F 6.3-7.3-7.2 and ClassicHits WVBW 4.9-5.0-5.4. #5 share Entercom ModA/C WPTE 4.9-5.3-4.8 with the ETM cluster including RymA/C WNVZ 4.5-4.4-4.3 & A/C WWDE/F 4.0-3.8-3.8. iHeart: A big jump for CHR WNOH 2.1-2.4-4.6, RymA/C WMOV/F 4.4-4.8-3.1 & UrbanA/C WKSA 1.7-1.6-1.7. Max Broadcast completes its cluster with: CHR WVHT 4.3-3.1-3.6, UrbanA/C WGH 2.0-3.2-2.7 & Sports WVSP/F 2.1-1.6-2.5. Hampton University Gospel WHOV, 1.3. Norfolk-VA. Beach Sailor Stats: 36 stations, 39% subscribe, 32% AfroAm, 5% Spanish, Swings +2.2 CHR WNOH, -1.7 WMOV/F. Stations sitting out: Sinclair 5, Saga 3. Shares: Entercom 24.0, Max Broadcast 21.4, iHeart 17.6.
45. NASHVILLE, TN . 1,285,000. Midwest Communications has taken over South Central with the prize #1 share & cume SoftA/C WJXA 9.4-11.1-11.0 and 495k weekly listeners. iHeart Media takes, 2nd, 3rd and 5th share spots with CHR WRVW 8.0-7.7-8.0, Urban WUBT 7.8-7.0-6.7 and #5 ClassicRock WNRQ 6.4-6.3-5.7. #4 share Cumulus Sports 4.6-6.3-6.6. Music. Midwest AdultHits WCJK 6.3-5.9-5.3. ties both Cumulus Country WKDE 5.0-5.0-5.3 and CMLS other Country WSME 5.0-4.3-5.3, then UrbanA/C WQQK 6.0-5.7-4.8 & CHR WNFN 2.5-2.5-2.5. iHeart Countrhy WSIX/F dips 6.3-5.2-4.7, Ryman Hospitality Propertiesiconic TraditionalCountry WSM 2.8-3.0-2.0, WAY Media Christian WAYM 1.7 & WAYQ .2, Cromwell Gospel WPRT-HD2 .5 and Middle Tennessee State U. Classical WMOT .1 News/Talk/Sports: Nashville Public Radio N/T WPLN 3.4-3.2-3.7, CMLS Talk WWTN 2.8-3.2-3.0, iHeart N/T WLAC 2. Sports: Cromwell WPRT 1.0 & WQZQ .3 Nashville Stats: 53 stations, 43% subscribe, AfroAm 16%, Spanish 6%, Swings: +1.0 Country WSM/F, -1.0 TradCountry WSM. Shares: iHeart 27.1, Cumulus 22.7, MidWest 16.3.
46. GREENSBORO-WINSTON-SALEM, N.C . 1,219,700. This part of North Carolina belongs to Entercom taking rankers #1 through #4. Top share, 8th cume is ETM UrbanA/C WQMG, 9.5-10.0-11.1. Country WPAW 8.2-9.3-9.0, AdultHits WSMW and RymCHR WJMH 7.9-7.7-8.2. #5 share iHeart Country WTQR slides 8.3-7.7-6.8 with cluster mates A/C WMAG 6.6-6.0-5.4, CHR WMKS 4.9-4.5-4.1 & ModRock WVBZ 2.1-2.1-2.3. Dick Broadcasting combo ClassicRock WKRR gains 5.8-5.7-6.4 and CHR WKZL holds 6.1-5.8-5.8. Curtis RegMex WYMY 1.3 &Oldies WPCM .1, Baker Family Gospel WXRI .5 and Winston-Salem State University Jazz WSNC .2. News/Talk: iHeart WPTI 2.6-2.6-2.4, Wake Forest U. WFDD 2.1-2.1-2.3, UNC Chapel Hill WUNC 1.0-1.1-1.5, Curtis WSJS 1.0. Sports: Curtis WCOG & WMFR .1. Greensboro-High Point Stats: 44 stations, 50% subscribe, AfroAm 22%, Spanish 8%, Swings: +1.1 UrbanA/C WQMG, -.9 Country WTQR. Shares: Entercom 36.9, iHeart 21.0, Dick 12.2.
48. WEST PALM BEACH-BOCA RATON, FL . 1,163,200. iHeart and Digity are the players. iHeart has #1 share, 2nd cume ClassicHits WOLL 7.4-8.0-8.9 and #3 share ClassicRock WKGR 5.6-4.7-5.3. Digity takes 2nd, 4th and 5th ranks with HotA/C WRMF 7.1-8.0-7.4 as #2 share, #1 cume 391k; A/C WEAT 4.3-4.4-4.7 and Country WIRK 5.2-4.3-4.5 is 5th. Music:Digity UrbanA/C WMBZ ranks 7th, 4.4-3.9-3.9 to tie WAY Christian WAYE 2.8-3.7-3.9. iHeart CHR WLDI 3.8-3.8-4.0 & SpanishHits WRLX 2.8-2.3-2.4. Moody Bible Religious WRMB 2.2, American Public Classical WPBI 1.2. News/Talk: Dade County School Board WLRN/WKWM 2.0 ties iHeart WZZR 2.0, iHeart WJNO 1.3, American Public Media WPBI-HD2 .9, iHeart WBZT.1 West Palm Stats: 35 Stations, 49% Subscribe, Spanish 19%, AfroAm 17%, Swings +.9 ClassicHits WOLL, -.6 HotA/C WRMF. Shares: iHeart 24.0, Digity 20.5.
49. JACKSONVILLE, FL . 1,156,700. Renda Broadcasting scores the #1 share -- #1 cume combo with SoftA/C WEJZ 8.9-8.4-9.8 and 424k. Renda Country takes 3rd share 5.5-6.2-6.1. #2 Cox CHR WAPE/F 7.3-6.4-6.5 and Cox ClassicHits WJGL 6.8-6.3-6.0 is 4th. #5 share iHeart UrbanA/C WJBT, 5.6-5.6-5.8, and the rest of iHeart has Country WQJK 5.9-5.3-4.8, UrbanA/C WSOL/F 3.6-4.2-4.7, AdultHits WWJK 4.4-4.0-4.5, CHR WKSL 4.8-5.0-4.4 and Rock WKSL-HD2, .8. Cox ModRock WXXJ 4.5-5.3-5.6, Urban WJGL-HD2 3.7-3.4-3.5 & UrbanA/C WHJX 4.0-4.5-3.4. News/Talk/Sports: Cox N/T WOKV/F 4.9-5.1-5.1, WJCT, Inc. N/T WJCT/F 3.7-3.4-3.5 andiHeart Sports WFXJ .3.J'Ville Stats: 40 stations, 43% subs, 21% AfroAm, 7% Spanish, Swings: +1.4 Soft A.C WEJZ, -1.1 UrbanA/C WHJX. Shares: Cox 30.1, iHeart 25.3, Renda 17.4.
51. MEMPHIS, TN . 1,104,200. iHeart takes #1, 2nd and 4th Share. UrbanA/C KJMS #1 on 4th cume, 9.2-9.0-9.4, Gospel WHAL/F 8.2-8.2-8.1, Urban WHRK is 4th and takes 6th with UrbanA/C WDIA 5.5-5..8-5.4. Cumulus fills in 3rd & 5th with R&BOldies WRBO 7.6-8.1-8.1 & UrbanA/C WDIA 5.5-5.8-5.2. Music. Entercom: HotA/C WMC/F 5.4-5.7-5.2, A/C WRVR 5.3-4.9-4.3, ClassicHits WKQK 3.5-3.5-3.3.& Sports WMFS/F 2.3-2.7-3.1. Finn Broadcasting: RymCHR WXIT 5.0-43.4-4.5 and CHR WHBQ 2.2-1.9-2.1, iHeart ClassicRock WEGR 2.5 & News/Talk WREC 1.8-2.1-2.3. Mid-South Pacific Classical WKNO/WKNP. Elvis Stats: 47 Stations, 53% Subs, AfroAm 45%, Spanish 5%, Swings +.4 UrbanA/C KJMS, -.6 A/C WRVR. Shares: iHeart 37.3, CMLS 20.5, Entercom 16.2.
52. HARTFORD, CT . 1,072,700. CBS is the big dog with the #1, 2, 5 & 6th share rankers. SoftA/C WRCH/F continues to stay on top 8.9-9.6-9.0 with a #3 cume. CBS HotA/C WTIC/F is 2nd 8.1-8.1-8.7, News/Talk WTIC/A is 5th 7.1-6.9-7.0 and RymCHR WZMR 6th at 6.9-6.8-5.3. iHeart is 3-4 with Country WWYZ 7.5-7.5-8.1 and #6 CHR WKSS 7.1-6.7-7.5 posting 373k for the #1 cume. iHeart Classic Hits WHCN slides 6.2-5.3-5.1 vs. ClassicHits Connoisseur Media WDRC/F 5.3-5.7-5.0. News/Talk/Sports: Connecticut Educational Telecommunications Corp. N/T WNPR quadcast 3.1-2.9-3.0, University Massachusetts News WFCR 1.5-1.3-1.3, WDRC/AM quadcast .9, iHeart Sports WPOP .2. Connecticut Capital Stats: 26 stations (plus 3kw Univ.Hartford WWUH), 46% subscribe, Spanish 13%, AfroAm 11%, Swings +8, CHR WKSS, -1.5 RymCHR WZMX. Shares: CBS 30.0, iHeart 20.9, Connoisseur 5.9.
Getting the pulse of local broadcasters at state conventions is a tremendous ascertainment. Hartford hosted an excellent Connecticut Broadcasters Assn. convention, last week, with a lifetime achievement award to station owner, engineer, broker and past CBA Chairman Mike Rice, an exemplary local broadcaster, followed by a live gubernatorial debate on Connecticut radio & TV. The New Hampshire Assn. of Broadcasters event was last night in a 60′s theme and the award for Broadcaster of the Year to outdoorsman and seasoned announcer and interviewer in Concord and previously every kilowatter in moose county, Peter St. James. In his magnificent voice, PSJ gave an eloquent thank you emphasizing the importance of radio's one-to-one, local service. It brought tears to even some of the toughest snowcat driving engineers in the Granite State. What we do -- live and local -- can't be lost in spread sheets or on Wall Street. Radio is far from too old to be sexy and cool. We just need to bring back the compelling, imaginative, content, service and live information that has survived and connected radio to all new media. Simply, monetize digital with something great to hear and see and tell an interested party in the coming election to turn on and tune in to radio.
Media Connector Clark Smidt, provides non-duplicated input adding to content, presentation and new business. Clark started his broadcast career on AM radio '66, FM the following year in Hartford, TV in '68 (besides being a '50s kid on NYC TV shows) Boston radio management '71, advising media & business since '82 and owner/operator in the Boston ADI,1987-2012. No-cost results with your existing resources. www.broadcastideas.com. 978 470-2120. Andover, MA.
Copyright 2014 Streamline RBR, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. ( Syndigate.info ).