Printer Friendly


REIVERS opened their Tri-Continental Cup campaign with an easy win over URUGUAY'S second-stringers at Fletcher's Field, Toronto, last night.

The Scots opened up a four-try lead at the interval, enabling the rest of the match to effectively become a training run.

Reivers coach Ian Rankin said: "Conditions were very tricky with a gusting and swirling wind preventing fluent play. There were also difficulties surrounding the varying interpretations of the laws involving both sides and the referee - but once we settled down we strung some fine moves together."

Edinburgh broke the deadlock when Iain Fairley burst through.

Debutant flanker Simon Taylor, ploughed over for the second touchdown and further counters before the break by full-back Stuart Lang and blind-side Cammy Mather ruled out any chance of a shock Uruguayan success.

Duncan Hodge was also in great form with the boot, converting all the first-half and three second half scores and scoring two tries of his own.

Gregor Hayter took two tries in the second half, while Taylor continued to impress by completing his double.

The South Americans snatched a late consolation effort, but Rankin said he was "very satisfied" with his side's overall display.

GLASGOW CALEDONIANS hit their stride early in the first match of their Canadian trip against ONTARIO, Donny MacFadyen grabbing a try in the first minute.

Playing into a gale force wind, Ian Jardine was next on the scoresheet four minutes later and in the 11th minute Shaun Longstaff crossed for the first of his two first half tries.

Gareth Flockhart romped in with 16 minutes gone and excellent continuity put Longstaff over for his second try. Flockhart followed grabbing his brace in the 37th minute and with Tommy Hayes landing three conversions.

Longstaff grabbed his hat-trick four minutes into the second half and added a fourth eight minutes later with Ontario crossing for their second try between his efforts.

Alan Bulloch scored his first try with 14 minutes of the second spell gone and Jon Stewart celebrated his first game for the Reds with a try on the half hour and Bulloch completed the scoring with a try six minutes from time.

Hayes added another two conversions to end the game 65-21.

HERIOT'S won the Preston Lodge Tens, beating BOROUGHMUIR 24-7 in the final and losing only one score in the process. All eyes are now on their defence of the league title.

Heriot's spokesman Fraser Dall said: "It'll be difficult to win the title successively, but, given the quality of our squad, there's no reason why not."

The fiercest scrap of the day saw hosts PRESTON LODGE of division three reach the semi-final by easing out first division WATSONIANS in the final act of a forwards scrap. The winning score in their 14-10 success came from prop John Anderson who scored with Jonny Sim converting.

In Rugby League, EDINBURGH EAGLES made up for the disappointment of defeat in the first Scottish Grand Final when they deservedly defeated Portobello Playboys 48-20 in the second at Hughenden yesterday afternoon.

The Eagles now qualify for the first round of the Silk Cut Challenge Cup.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1999 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Title Annotation:Sport
Publication:The Mirror (London, England)
Date:Aug 9, 1999
Previous Article:RUGBY LEAGUE: PRYCE IS RIGHT FOR BRADFORD; Bradford 30 Gateshead 14.

Related Articles
RUGBY: We need Rudd at Center stage.
Caley's try stars are the real Tri-stars.
RUGBY: Peace breaks out for Scots.
RUGBY: Reivers run riot in Toronto.
Sports Update: Reivers mix it for Canada Tri; UPDATE.
Rugby Union: Reds run Reivers ragged; Caley Reds 30 Edinburgh Reivers 10.
Rugby Union: Five get Reivers call up.

Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2018 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters