Printer Friendly

ROCHESTER TEL TO ACQUIRE UTICA-ROME CELLULAR PROPERTIES

 ROCHESTER TEL TO ACQUIRE UTICA-ROME CELLULAR PROPERTIES
 ROCHESTER, N.Y., May 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Rochester Tel announced today that it will acquire a 70 percent majority ownership of the Utica-Rome Cellular Partnership (URCP) operating in the Utica-Rome, N.Y. Metropolitan Service Area (MSA). The remaining 30 percent will continue to be owned by NYNEX Mobile Communications Company.
 URCP provides cellular telephone service in Oneida and Herkimer counties, including a segment of the New York State Thruway. The total market population units (POPs) associated with the Utica-Rome MSA are 316,633.
 Local management will continue to be responsible for the day-to- day operations of the partnership, with Rochester providing strategic planning and oversight.
 "This acquisition is consistent with our goal to expand the company's wireless communications business into geographic areas which complement existing properties," said Dale Gregory, president of Rochester Tel Telecommunications Services.
 In a recent address to the company's share owners, Ronald L. Bittner, president and CEO said, "Wireless communications are flourishing and the opportunities are many. We will consider owning more wireless frequencies and franchises where values look good and where we can round out our geographic diversification." This acquisition is the first step in fulfilling this strategy.
 The transaction will be a series of mergers resulting in stock-for-stock, tax-free exchange subject to regulatory approvals and is anticipated to be finalized in the fourth quarter of 1992.
 Rochester Tel operates 37 telephone properties in 15 states in the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest and South. Its largest property, the Rochester operating company, is located in Rochester, N.Y., the company's headquarters city. The company also operates telecommunications services subsidiaries which provide long distance service and business call centers in New York State, the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic Region; wireless properties are located in New York, Kansas, Alabama, Illinois, Iowa and Georgia.
 -0- 5/1/92
 /CONTACT: Diana C. Melville of Rochester Tel, 716-777-7061, or 716-777-1090; or Jerry McCarthy, president-Oneida County Telephone Company, 315-865-5201/ CO: Rochester Tel ST: New York IN: TLS SU: TNM


KK -- CL004 -- 5344 05/01/92 09:32 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1992 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1992 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:May 1, 1992
Words:339
Previous Article:SUPERIOR SURGICAL DECLARES QUARTERLY DIVIDEND, HOLDS ANNUAL MEETING OF SHAREHOLDERS, ELECTS CO-PRESIDENTS
Next Article:BURRITT INTERFINANCIAL BANCORP REPORTS FIRST-QUARTER RESULTS


Related Articles
ROCHESTER TEL TO ACQUIRE 2ND TELEPHONE COMPANY IN GEORGIA
NYNEX MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS AND ROCHESTER TEL TO FORM CELLULAR SUPERSYSTEM IN UPSTATE NEW YORK
ROCHESTER TEL ANNOUNCES PLANS TO SELL S&A TELEPHONE
ROCHESTER TEL THIRD QUARTER NET INCOME CONTINUES POSITIVE TREND; OPERATING INCOME IS UP 18.0 PERCENT OVER 1991
ROCHESTER TEL ACQUIRES UTICA-ROME CELLULAR PROPERTIES
ROCHESTER TEL, NYNEX MOBILE FINALIZE JOINT VENTURE PARTNERSHIP IN UPSTATE NEW YORK; VENTURE WILL BE MANAGED BY ROCHESTER TEL
FINGER LAKES AREA JOINS UPSTATE CELLULAR NETWORK; CELLULAR SERVICE WILL IMPROVE IN AUBURN, ITHACA, CORTLAND, SENECA FALLS
TALKALONG FRONTIER'S 'PHONE IN A BOX' OFFERS CONVENIENT CELLULAR SERVICE WITH NO COMMITMENTS
Bell Atlantic Mobile Completes Acquisition Of Frontier Cellular.
Bell Atlantic Mobile Completes Acquisition Of Frontier Cellular.

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters