Printer Friendly


 MINNEAPOLIS, Sept. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Experiencing its fastest growth spurt to date, Children's Broadcasting Corporation (NASDAQ: AAHS) (CBC) announced the addition of seven new affiliates. The recent agreements, which were signed in the last two weeks, bring the Radio AAHS total affiliate count to 19 which represents 17.5 percent of the U.S. market.
 Christopher T. Dahl, CBC president, announced the signing of stations in the following markets: Spokane, Wash.; Eau Claire, Wis.; Idaho Falls, Idaho; Colorado Springs, Colo.; Las Vegas; San Luis Obispo, Calif.; and Grand Rapids, Mich. All stations are expected to go on the air by Jan. 1, 1994.
 Network president, Bill Barnett said, "This tremendous growth is testimony Radio AAHS reaches a mass audience not touched by other stations. Out of the 11,000 radio stations in the country, 10,981 reach 80 percent of the market and Radio AAHS will reach the other 20 percent.
 "Also, by reaching kids and parents, children's programming is actually breathing new life into the AM's ability to thrive by offering them a niche in high-demand family entertainment."
 Radio AAHS is a 24-hour national children's satellite network featuring children's music, entertainment and educational programming. The offspring of the Minneapolis flagship station which cut its teeth in children's programming, the Children's Satellite Network is geared toward kids 12 years old and under and their parents.
 Music fills 60 to 70 percent of Radio AAHS' airtime and runs the gamut from funky rock to country, folk, jazz, light classical, oldies and contemporary tunes. The remaining programming mix includes educational segments, self esteem messages, recycling reminders, lullaby music for early evenings, story hours, contests, news, local weather and a Radio AAHS Top 20 Countdown which lists the most requested music selections from the previous week.
 To facilitate listener response, the network offers a toll-free number (800-55-AAHS-0) so kids across the country can phone in and chat or request a favorite song. Last month Radio AAHS received 150,000 calls.
 The Children's Satellite Network is a wholly owned subsidiary of Children's Broadcasting Corporation, which is publicly traded over-the- counter market.
 Launched in October 1992, the network is broadcasting in the following markets: the flagship station WWTC 1280 AM in Minneapolis; KPLS 830 AM, Los Angeles; KCTQ 850 AM, Ventura County, Calif.; WKDL 1050 AM, Washington, D.C.; KKDS 1060 AM, Salt Lake City; KNRB 1360 AM, Dallas; KIDR 740 AM, Phoenix; KYYD 1340 AM, Abilene, Texas; WKDV 1460 AM, Manassas, Va.; and WMXH 750 AM, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pa.; as well as two new stations in Baltimore and Denver which will start broadcasting in November.
 -0- 9/23/93
 /CONTACT: Karin Olsen of Lapin East/West, 805-371-9797, for Radio AAHS/

CO: Children's Broadcasting Corporation ST: Minnesota IN: ENT SU:

KH-DB -- MN004 -- 5403 09/23/93 17:07 EDT
COPYRIGHT 1993 PR Newswire Association LLC
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1993 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Article Details
Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback
Publication:PR Newswire
Date:Sep 23, 1993

Terms of use | Copyright © 2017 Farlex, Inc. | Feedback | For webmasters