* Decide whether each sentence is true, false, or an opinion. Write your answer on the blank line provided.
-- 1. Keeping tires properly inflated saves gasoline.
-- 2.Most of the world's known oil reserves are in the U.S.
-- 3. U.S. businesses ought to invest money in research and development of alternative fuels.
-- 4. Large vehicles are more energy-efficient than small vehicles.
-- 5. Greasecars run on vegetable oil, diesel fuel, or both.
WORLD: THIS IS MY U.K., PAGES 10-13
* Use a word from this list to correctly complete each sentence.
ackee and saltfish, Afro-Caribbean, bangers and mash, curry houses, the Persian Gulf war, Prime Minister Tony Blair, Protestant, Oueen Elizabeth II, Ramadan, Shia Muslim, Sunni Muslim, the Vietnam War, World War II
6. Raju, like most Bangladeshi immigrants and their children in the U.K., is a --.
7. Most of the British colonies in Asia and Africa won independence after --.
8. The U.K.'s head of government is --.
9. One example of Asian immigrants' influence on life in London is the spread of --.
10. Raju and his family fast to observe the month of --.
WORLD HISTORY: THE BIRTH OF DEMOCRACY, PAGES 14-17
* Every name in the left column relates in some wag to the life of Pericles. Match each of those names with the correct description in the right column.
-- 11. Acropolis
-- 12. Anaxagoras
-- 13. Areopagus
-- 14. Cimon
-- 15. Ephialtes
A. ally of Pericles
B. Athenian council of aristocrats
C. site of temples in Athens
D. tutor to Pericles
E. wealthy politician opposed by Pericles
ASK MAPMAN, PAGE 21
Write the letter of the correct answer on the line before each question.
-- 16. Where are most of the world's active volcanoes located?
A. Atlantic Ocean
B. Arctic Ocean
C. Mediterranean Sea
D. Pacific Ocean
-- 17. Which of the words below best describes at least 500 of the world's volcanoes?
C. under glaciers
-- 18. The volcano Kilauea is located above a geothermal region called what?
A. Ring of Fire
B. hot spot
D. tectonic plate
-- 19. Most of the Ring of Fire lies along all but which continent?
C. North America
D. South America
-- 20. What are scientists who study volcanoes called?
2. false (only 2.4 percent are)
6. Sunni Muslim
7. World War II
8. Prime Minister Tony Blair
9. curry houses
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Oct 30, 2006|
|Previous Article:||In the aftermath of violence: advice for teachers (grades 2-12) from Adele M. Brodkin, Ph.D.|
|Next Article:||Knowledge bowl #2.|