* Decide whether each sentence is true, false, or an opinion. Write your answer on the blank line provided.
--1. Most of the victims of the October 8 earthquake were in Pakistan.
--2. The leaders of India and Pakistan should work together to rebuild the area devastated by the earthquake.
--3. The earthquake was centered in the Andes mountain range.
--4. India and Pakistan have fought two wars over Kashmir, where the earthquake took place.
--5. The United States ought to send more troops and equipment to help in the search for earthquake victims.
NEWS SPECIAL: GLOBALIZATION AND YOU, PAGES 6-7
* Use a name, word, or phrase from this list to correctly complete each sentence.
cheap labor, computer factories, educated labor force, Finland, Germany, globalization, grain mills, high-paying jobs, India, Internet, outsourcing, quotas, tariffs, sock mills, United States
6. In the last two years, the town of Fort Payne, Alabama, has lost thousands of jobs in its--
7. Government taxes on imports or exports are called--
8. The country whose students rank number one in science-test scores is--
9. The term that means limited numbers or shares, as of imported products, is--
10. One key to the economic success of China and India has been their--
WORLD: CHINA SURGES AHEAD, PAGES 8-11
* Write the letter of the correct answer on the line before each question.
--11. Nearly 65 percent of China's people live where?
A. in cities
B. in the countryside
C. in Sichuan province
--12. Who was the Communist leader during China's Cultural Revolution?
A. Hu Jintao
B. Mao Zedong
C. Qing Lang
--13. Which river in China is the third longest in the world?
A. Chang Jiang
B. Huang He
C. Xi River
--14. How often does Min Liu attend school?
A. every day except Sunday
B. the first three weeks of each month
C. four days a week
--15. How did Hu Jintao become President of China?
A. The Chinese people elected him during the country's first free elections.
B. Chinese who fled to Taiwan chose him as their leader.
C. The Communist Party chose him.
WORLD HISTORY: ALEXANDER THE GREAT, PAGES 12-13
* Match each person or phrase in the left column with the correct description in the right column. -- 16. Bucephalus A. Alexander's mother -- 17. Darius III B. horse tamed by Alexander -- 18. Issus C. King of Macedonia, Alexander's father -- 19. Olympias D. King of Persia -- 20. Philip II E. where Alexander defeated Persia's King
AMERICAN HISTORY: OUR FOUNDING FATHERS, PAGES 16-19
* In each sentence below, change the boldfaced word or phrase to another one that will make the statement correct.
21. The 1787 convention to discuss problems with the Articles of Confederation was held in Annapolis.--
22. According to the Great Compromise, the Supreme Court would have two members per state.--
23. Delegates to the 1787 convention were fearful of creating an overly strong state government.--
24. The type of government formed by the United States Constitution is called a monarchy.--
25. People who supported ratification of the U.S. Constitution were called Confederates.--
3. false (Himalaya)
6. sock mills
10. cheap labor
23. national (or federal)
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Oct 31, 2005|
|Previous Article:||Citizens of the world.|
|Next Article:||Plutarch's Alexander.|
|Digital Photography, the Camera.|
|Bringing Abe to life.|