* Write the letter of the correct answer on the line before each question.
--1. Who will issue a report on Iran's nuclear program next month?
A. International Atomic Energy Agency
B. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
C. United Nations Security Council
--2. Which of the following accurately describes Pluto?
A. closest planet to the sun
B. largest moon in our solar system
C. outermost planet in our solar system
--3. Teens need how many hours of sleep?
--4. A skin fungus worsened by global warming is killing which kind of animals?
--5. Mayor Michael Sessions of Hillsdale, Michigan, is focusing his efforts on which concern?
A. encouraging economic growth in his town
B. lowering the national voting age
C. shortening the school day in his school district
WORD: LIFE IN LAOS, PAGES 8-9
* Decide whether each sentence is true, false, or an opinion. Write your answer on the blank line provided.
--6. The U.S. did not bomb Laos during the Vietnam War.
--7. Tourists are not welcome in Laotian villages.
--8. The city of Luang Prabang is on a peninsula between two rivers.
--9. Laos needs more paved roads and highways.
10. An organization called Give Children a Choice is helping to build schools in Laos.
AMERICAN HISTORY: THE MUCKRAKERS, PAGES 10-11
* Match each person or phrase in the left column with the correct description in the right column.</p> <pre> --11. S. S. McClure A. journalist who investigated an oil-industry monopoly --12. John D. B. immigrant who Rockefeller
founded an influential magazine --13. Upton Sinclair C. journalist who described conditions in meatpacking plants --14. Lincoln Steffens
D. business owner who established a powerful monopoly --15. Ida M. Tarbell E. journalist who exposed political graft and corruption </pre> <p>USA/WE THE PEOPLE: THE ROLE 0F THE NEWS MEDIA, PAGES 12-14
* Use a word or phrase from this list to correctly complete each sentence.
Carl Bernstein, the Bill of Rights, Bill Clinton, Congress, Fifth, First, the Internet, Abraham Lincoln, The New York Times, Richard M. Nixon, the President, Second, the Supreme Court, television, The Washington Post, Bob Woodward
16. U.S. news media are protected by the--Amendment to the Constitution.
17. That Amendment says that "--shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press."
18. Journalists' investigations in the Watergate scandal resulted in the resignation of--the only U.S. President to do so.
19. During the Vietnam War,--allowed newspapers to publish a secret report known as the Pentagon Papers.
20. According to a recent survey,--is the most popular news source for U.S. teens.
18. Richard M. Nixon
19. the Supreme Court
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Date:||Feb 20, 2006|
|Previous Article:||Lesson plans for student activities.|
|Next Article:||Reading a chart: compare economies.|
|Digital Photography, the Camera.|
|Bringing Abe to life.|