Quick & easy meals Baking special.
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: 10-12 mins
Total cost: pounds 1.60
500g (1lb 2oz) packet shortcrust pastry
6 tbsp lemon curd
Icing sugar, to dust
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 deg C, Gas 6, fan oven 190 deg C.
2. Roll out the pastry to 5mm (14in) thick. Cut into 5cm (2ins) squares with a knife, then roughen edges with a fork. Cut out circular `windows' from half of the squares.
3. Bake for about 10 mins on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Spread a little lemon curd on the whole squares and top them with the cut-out ones.
5. Dust with icing sugar and fill the `windows' with the remaining lemon curd.
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 15-20 mins
Total cost: pounds 1.10
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp ground ginger
110g (4oz) golden caster sugar
75g (3oz) butter
110g (4oz) golden syrup
1 egg, beaten
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C, Gas 4, fan oven 170 deg C. Meanwhile, mix the flour, salt, ginger and sugar in a bowl.
2. Melt butter and syrup in another bowl over simmering water. Take off the heat and stir in the flour mixture. Add the beaten egg, a little at a time, mixing until smooth.
3. Place teaspoons of the mixture on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15-20 mins until golden.
Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 25-30 mins
Total cost: pounds 1.50
250g (9oz) dried figs
Zest of 1 orange
200ml (7fl oz) orange juice
25g (1oz) butter
1 tsp cinnamon
225g (8oz) pack of ready-made shortbread crumble mixture
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C, Gas 4, fan oven 170 deg C. Meanwhile, put the figs, zest, cinnamon and orange juice in a pan and bring to the boil.
2. Remove from heat and leave to cool, then pulse in a food processor until it becomes a thick paste.
3. Press just over half the shortbread mixture into a 23 x 33cm (9 x 13ins) rectangular tin. Spread with fig mixture and scatter remaining shortbread on top. Bake for 25-30 mins. Cool, then slice into bars.
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||The People (London, England)|
|Date:||Feb 8, 2004|
|Previous Article:||Star Chat: I live every day like it's my last; EastEnders' Kim Medcalf, 29, almost died in a car crash 18 months ago. Now she's battled back to...|
|Next Article:||Tried & Tested: Diet hot chocolate; Cure those chocolate cravings with a tasty low-calorie hot choc drink! We taste-test three top brews...|