Queen pays tribute to fallen at Second World War churchyard.
The Queen's father, King George VI, first unveiled the cross at St Mary's Church, Great Bircham, near Sand-ringham, Norfolk, on July 14, 1946. During World War II, the churchyard was used for the burial of airmen from the RAF station at the neighbouring village of Bircham Newton, and from other RAF stations in eastern England. The plot in the churchyard, which contains 66 Commonwealth and 11 German war graves, is now cared for by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
The Queen arrived at the church wearing a matching cornflower blue suit and hat, and attended a service of commemoration at the church led by Rector, the Reverend Andrew Butcher.
Several hundred local people and a handful of relatives of the men who died attended the ceremony. After the service, the Queen toured an exhibition organised by local historians and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
The Queen lays a wreath at the Cross of Sacrifice at St Mary's Church, Great Bircham, Norfolk, to mark the 60th anniversary of the unveiling of the first Cross of Sacrifice to be completed after the Second World War
|Printer friendly Cite/link Email Feedback|
|Publication:||Daily Post (Liverpool, England)|
|Date:||Jul 17, 2006|
|Previous Article:||pounds 200m war on hospital 'mad cow' infection risk.|
|Next Article:||Kurdish guerrilla separatists step up fatal attacks in Turkey.|